[SOLVED] Laptop cooling, and telling my RTX 3080 to Calm Down

phidarian

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
I bought an Alienware m17 r4 and I'm generally happy with it (specs at bottom). My issue is that there seems to be a portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire somewhere in the motherboard and a miniaturized jet engine is being used to cool it. This occurs even when I'm playing games like League of Legends where at one point I got 800fps. I've tried switching into "balanced" power mode, but when this thing sees "video game" it just loses its mind and goes straight to Super Saiyin. How do I convince it that 800fps isn't necessary? (Capping the FPS in the game settings doesn't appear to affect the heat/fan situation).

i7-10870H
Win10 64
RTX 3080 (16gb, not max-q)
32gb ddr4 2933

Solution
There should be an option in the NVIDIA Control Panel under the "Manage 3D Settings" page to set an FPS cap. Alternatively I think MSI Afterburner should also allow you to do this or set a power cap.

phidarian

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
There should be an option in the NVIDIA Control Panel under the "Manage 3D Settings" page to set an FPS cap. Alternatively I think MSI Afterburner should also allow you to do this or set a power cap.
PERFECT thanks man, I bet this does it. Is there a way to mark a post as 'resolved' without deleting it?