[SOLVED] Laptop cooling

Jan 4, 2022
I have an msi stealth 15m. i put 64gb ram into it, and use an external ssd connected via thunderbolt to play games. i have read things about positive and negative pressures when it comes to cooling, and i have a cooling pad that i usually always keep on, keep my laptop clean, etc. this laptop is notorious for getting hot, and im wondering if i could put one, or more klim cool + on the exhaust ports on either side (even the back), and not tear up all of my laptops hardware trying to keep it cool for quieter?

Solution
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows...
It doesn't look like there's a lot of clearance to breathe when the laptop is flat on a surface. You could try lifting the laptop up an inch or so. Otherwise, the overall problem with this laptop is the cooling capacity is still limited by the dinky heat sinks it has. Unless you make a ducted system to funnel air from a larger, quieter fan into it, you're not going to get very far.

Reactions: bcp_nevermind
Jan 4, 2022
that is kind of what i am trying to do. my laptop never sits flat on a table (i learned laptops are not really meant for laps a long time ago). and so the ability to draw in air as fast as i can suck it out is now the issue. i could (theoretically) fit 4+ klim cool +'s onto my laptop. but that is turning into a huge hassle. if i were to fit two, one on either side, is it going to tear of my internal fans trying to suck air faster than they can give it?

Jan 4, 2022
or, what is the best external way to introduce air into a laptop? this is for playing at home, it doesnt need to be mobile.

ext; i will probably end up getting a better cooling pad with more fans, i was just interested if there was something that shoved air in the way it takes it out with that klim cool+

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows balanced power profile/ advanced functions to a max of 99% instead of the default of 100%
That may keep an aggressive bios from driving the cpu too hard.
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

On getting added airflow through the cooler, I would prioritize getting cooling air INTO the cooler.
It will eventually exit somewhere, hopefully taking component heat with it.

Reactions: bcp_nevermind
Solution
Jan 4, 2022
i get what you are saying, and i can adjust all of that. and if you look at my laptop profile, i can turn on two extra fans (which keeps everything cool and works, but they are super loud). i am curious about if i start punching air into and out of my laptop, or does that cause more damage than good

Jan 4, 2022
the question will again apply: i can put a dozen fans on a computer in every-which what. is it going to be more beneficial to keep pumping cooler air in or sucking out hot air?

the question will again apply: i can put a dozen fans on a computer in every-which what. is it going to be more beneficial to keep pumping cooler air in or sucking out hot air?
You need a balance.
As a rule, an intake fan will be stronger getting air into the case than an exit fan drawing air out.
Just my opinion, but 2/3 good front intakes is the first need.
The usual single 120mm exhaust is good at directing the airflow past the cpu , gpu, and motherboard vrm coolers.