Question Laptop CPU clock unstable

Jan 31, 2023
I just reset my windows and I'm having a problem with my CPU when I'm playing valorant, before the reset everything was completely normal, but now the clock speed is very unstable. The CPU temperature rises a lot and the FPS drops, I tried everything to fix it but I didn't find a solution. I tried using ThroddleStop to undervolt, but the settings are locked. But I used the Log File to be able to get some information.

My Laptop Specs:
i5-10210U
MX 330 2GB
12GB RAM
256GB SSD

Here is the Log File from TS, i was playing valorant:
https://pastebin.com/sQ65gPts

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I tried everything to fix

If this would be true, this topic wouldn't exist.

The CPU temperature rises a lot and the FPS drops

Well yeah, if CPU thermal throttles, performance will drop.

As of what to do: haul your laptop to PC repair shop and pay them for:
  • internal dust cleaning
  • replacements of thermal pads and thermal paste

Or do all that yourself, if you know your way around inside laptops.

The VRTEMP messages in the log file are telling you that the voltage regulators are overheating. This causes the CPU to throttle until the voltage regulators cool down. This cycle of overheating and throttling will continue indefinitely.

You have a poorly designed laptop with inadequate cooling. Many laptops with Intel's low end, low powered U series CPUs are not well designed for the constant load of gaming. You need to find a way to improve cooling because the manufacturer has failed.

Jan 30, 2023
Manufacturer hasn't failed. Instead it's the end user, who uses the product outside of the designed workload. Meaning, that laptop wasn't designed to be gamed on, instead designed for light tasks (office work).
It wouldn't be the 1st notebook i see or hear about overheating . I had 2 gaming notebooks , and both had ( since the begining) cooling problems . The new models are better , but older models were really hot .
An Acer i had even had a GPU malfunction after 2,5 years ( because of heat) .

KyaraM

Admirable
It wouldn't be the 1st notebook i see or hear about overheating . I had 2 gaming notebooks , and both had ( since the begining) cooling problems . The new models are better , but older models were really hot .
The GPU (MX330) should give you all the hints you need to figure out that this is, in fact, not a gaming laptop, but a run-of-the-mill office laptop with most likely horrendous cooling. It got jack to do with manufacturer fail. Gaming is not its intended purpose, and that really is all there is. Office work doesn't stress these systems enough to cause issues, normally, unless you connect 2-3 4k screens to it... then it gets toasty. But then, I would wonder why you do that for simple office work.

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Laptops (later on, notebooks and tablets) were created and designed for business people, who travel around a lot and need the portability of a device. So, for office use, laptop is ideal and also intended for that.

Mistake what manufacturers did, was putting beefy GPUs in them, making them a "gaming" laptop, which is plagued by thermal issues. And while "gaming" laptops are 2-3 times fatter than normal laptops, those still aren't ideal for gaming. Desktop PC is for gaming and heavy work loads.
Only advantage of laptop is it's portability, while on everything else, desktop PC does better.

OP's laptop, in the other hand, is entry-level and only good for web browsing and office work.

Reactions: KyaraM