[SOLVED] Laptop CPU clockspeed randomly decreases drastically

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngftsa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
This issue started happening on my Laptop HP Elitebook 840 G2 where completely out of the blue the clockspeed would fall to as low as 0.2GHz rendering it completely useless. This happens for a short while, maybe for a minute. I am suspecting that it is due to temperature because it started happening this summer (I got this laptop last winter) usually when there isn't enough airflow and when I hold it up to a fan, it becomes normal again. However I also monitored the temperature of the cpu and it would happen at as low as 50 degree centigrade and the laptop also doesn't feel too hot. For reference, where I'm living, temperature varies from 30 to 40+ degrees. Someone please enlighten me. Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Do you have an SKU for the HP laptop? You might want to see which BIOS version you're currently on for your laptop and cross reference it with the BIOS version shown on HP's support site.

You should also check and see which OS version you're currently on.

Where are you located anyway?

ngftsa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Do you have an SKU for the HP laptop? You might want to see which BIOS version you're currently on for your laptop and cross reference it with the BIOS version shown on HP's support site.

You should also check and see which OS version you're currently on.

Where are you located anyway?
System SKU P4C09UC#ABA
BIOS version is 1.30 and there is an update to 1.31 on HP website.
I'm currently running win10 v2004.
I'm located in Bahawalpur, Pakistan.

ngftsa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Edit: So I opened the laptop and cleaned the heatsink fan and applied some thermal paste and so far it is running good. Hopefully that solved the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.