Question Laptop CPU consistently 90C during idle after install liquid metal

Apr 18, 2019
Hi, I just change the original thermal paste to liquid metal on my laptop, my GPU had drop from 80C to 40-50C. But my CPU consistenly 90C during idle, I try to play dota2 it's only 10 FPS (not playable).

Before I change to liquid metal, my CPU temp is around 50C idle, but when gaming will boost up to 90-95C, so I wonder is my thermal paste problem.

ASUS GL553VW
i7 6700 HQ
GTX 960m
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Single Language

I tired to reseat the headsink I'm pretty sure is attach very well, could anyone help me to solve my issue ?

The huge drop on the GPU makes me think that the heatsink might not be making good contact with the CPU and that's why the GPU temps dropped that much.
Check that the heatsink is installed properly or it has not been damaged (bent).

Your system was just fine as it was. A laptop CPU and GPU gets very hot while gaming or with any app that taxes the system.
Was it throttling?

Apr 18, 2019
Guys, I cleaned up my cpu conductive and replace with normal thermal paste, now it's work fine, idle 40C, gaming around 70-80C, but my GPU I still maintain using conductive like 50C when gaming.

I still not understand why can't use conductive on CPU, is it because of Scoth super 33+ electrical tape covered the CPU chip ? I do the same on GPU but no problem.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can use conductive paste on the cpu if careful and not have it dribble out the sides if apply too much and short things around or in the socket or pcb. Between metal surfaces is fine, can mount heatsink directly on the cpu without causing a short.

I second Noctua nh1, good paste.

you "can" use conductive on em, but you risk electrical shorting if it comes into contact with anything other than the die.
and liquidmetal is fluid so it can creep out (especially in a laptop that is portable)

nonconductive is preferred becsue even if u poured it on entire MB (dont tough) it would still function w/o any risk of damage.