Jan 28, 2020
Hey folks! I own an Asus Zenbook UX303UB (with an i5 6200U and a Geforce 940M) running Windows 10. One day, it stopped being able to detect the battery and would only book when plugged in. Following some advice I found online, I opened it up, disconnected the battery from the mainboard, held the power button pressed down for 30", reconnected the battery, put it back together, and switched it back on. This fixed the battery problem, but a different problem appeared: the CPU fan is ALWAYS spinning on full, whether the machine is plugged in or working from the battery!

I opened it back up and confirmed that it's the CPU fan doing this, not the GPU. I double checked my power plan settings through Windows (minimum processor state is at 5%, CPU cooling policy is set to passive both in the plugged in and on battery), and I ran CPU-Z and HWMon to make sure nothing was overheating: CPU temps are normally between 30-43C while browsing the web, and the clocks DO throttle down when I'm not doing anything intensive (currently at 400MHZ, but it bumps to 1890MHz when I stress test). I also had a look in my BIOS settings to make sure nothing was awry in there, but couldn't find anything obvious at all! I also checked if there were any driver updates, and it seems I'm up to date with everything.

I'm very much at a loss here! When I opened it back up, I nudged the cooler and heatpipe a bit to make sure nothing was loose, but I'm pretty experienced with system builds so I'm pretty sure I didn't break anything, and the fact that temps seem normal seems to confirm this. So I'm pretty sure this is a software problem, but I've checked everywhere I could think of and haven't found anything that explains it!

Anyone got any ideas?

Jan 28, 2020
elavate your laptop using bread colling racks or something it worked for me
Like I said, it's not overheating, I'm monitoring the temps. Besides, I've used it in every conceivable position, including holding it up while walking around. Fan is still always at 100%, neither slows down nor speeds up.

Jan 28, 2020
elevate. is your pc is it a laptop? if so the cooling system has a harder time cooling down when on a table directly.
Hey buddy no offense, I know you're trying to help, but that's the same thing you told me 2 replies ago, when I already said twice that my temps are pretty reasonable at under 40C! Now you're asking me whether it's a laptop, which I explicitly said it is in the OP, so I'm starting to wonder, can you not read, or are you just a bot repeating stock tips at random? Either way, I guess I appreciate the replies since you're keeping my question bumped to the top of the forum, but I'm just asking so I know whether any input from me is at all necessary for your tips to continue coming.

Jan 28, 2020
So, curiously, the problem solved itself. I opened the laptop up again to fix a loose monitor hinge, didn't touch the fans, heatpipes, or anything else in any way, and when I closed it up again it was working fine - fans are now off when the computer is idle and spin up normally when it gets hot!

The only explanation I can think of is maybe a cable was loose, and I nudged it back into place while I was fixing the hinge - but what cable could have possibly caused that?

TRENDING THREADS