Laptop CPU Fan Question

fanthing

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Hello, my fan died days ago and I went ahead and took it to a computer shop. The technician replaced the fan. I went back home and started working and did a stress test. I noticed that the new fan is far quieter than my old fan on 90% speed. My old fan used to expel a lot of air when it was at 90%. This current replacement fan expels really low volume. I can barely feel the air expelled on 90% speed. My question is. Is there something wrong with my current fan? The two fans are of a different brand and the previous fan replaced my original fan that came with the laptop.

Solution
The technician probably didn't check the fan before installing it (or simply didn't care) because it sounds like it's a much lower RPM fan. If it's not moving the same or greater amount of air this will cause issues as the components being cooled won't have adequate cooling. If it's the CPU or GPU it will simply thermal-throttle, meaning it will reach a really high temperature and then lower its own performance to save itself.
The technician probably didn't check the fan before installing it (or simply didn't care) because it sounds like it's a much lower RPM fan. If it's not moving the same or greater amount of air this will cause issues as the components being cooled won't have adequate cooling. If it's the CPU or GPU it will simply thermal-throttle, meaning it will reach a really high temperature and then lower its own performance to save itself.

Solution