Question Laptop CPU Heatsink mount repair

fallout2077

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
Hey there, folks. On the continuing journey of repairing my shut-down-ridden MSI GT70 2PC, I've come upon the steps to remedy a possible culprit. Around the time the shut downs started occurring, I noticed that the one of the CPU heatsink mounts (the one nearest the RAM sticks) on the motherboard seperated from the board itself and is now attached only by the screw in the heatsink. Reading around the web from those experiencing similar situations has led me that epoxy would be a good solution to the problem, as it would be a strong bond and heat-resistant. The thing is, I've never worked with epoxy before, and I'm ignorant as to whether or not there are certain varieties better suited to motherboard application. Could some of you better versed in the subject offer me any suggestions as to which epoxy to use, or would any epoxy work? Thank you in advance!

fallout2077

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
Can you can take a picture of the broken screw mount you're referring to and upload it here? Often times the mounts/standoffs are not attached to any circuit board, they're part of the casing. A little context/picture here will help. :)
Here you go. If you need me to re-open the laptop and remove the heatsinks, just tell me and I will. I avoided it for now since I didn't want to bother the thermal paste I applied last night, especially since I don't have any left.

Mount

Here you go. If you need me to re-open the laptop and remove the heatsinks, just tell me and I will. I avoided it for now since I didn't want to bother the thermal paste I applied last night, especially since I don't have any left.

Mount
Thanks! As best as I can see it, it looks like the mount you're referring to is attached to the chassis, while the board has a cutout for clearance. If you're lucky, that spacer screw can be tightened.

I'm not an expert in bonding material, but from what I've read, this (or something along those lines) should work well if anything is broken.

fallout2077

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
Thanks! As best as I can see it, it looks like the mount you're referring to is attached to the chassis, while the board has a cutout for clearance. If you're lucky, that spacer screw can be tightened.

I'm not an expert in bonding material, but from what I've read, this (or something along those lines) should work well if anything is broken.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep an eye out for that stuff! Do you think that mount/spacer is a likely culprit for the shut downs?

fallout2077

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
Anything that causes the heatsink to be not perfectly parallel to the chip when both surfaces are matted will do it.
I thought about using superglue in lieu of epoxy for the time being, and seeing as how that mount sits above the hole in the board, I don't think I'd be able to get a strong and big enough hold on the mount. Plus, from what I've read, superglue doesn't have the highest heat resistance. Plus, even when pushing down on the point where that mount would be applying pressure, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable change in angle/elevation in that area, so the CPU/heatsink must be extremely sensitive to the slightest change in angle from point to point.

fallout2077

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
You need to take it to a professional service. Have the heatsink replaced and not 'soldered back', the heatsink is not just a simple piece of metal but contains heat conducting fluid inside.

I purchased a soldering iron, though I've since returned it as many local IT techs have advised against using it to solder the mount back to the board. And I wouldn't be soldering the heatsink itself to the board, I'd be soldering the spacer/mount that secures and tightens the heatsink down to the CPU/board. Though, as I said, soldering is not going to happen. I've considered scraping away the top surface of PCB around the mount and attempting to reapply the epoxy and giving it another shot, hoping that the material beneath that top PCB layer would make it easier for the epoxy to bond to. Oh, I don't believe I've actually mentioned that I've tried epoxy already, though it didn't work as the epoxy couldn't bond to the board, causing the mount to pop back off the board.