Laptop CPU is throttling to 800mhz and then back to 3.1ghz

ArhamAsam

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
My laptop is a lenovo y520:
i5 7300hq
gtx1050ti 4gb
256gb ssd

For some reason, sometimes the cpu randomly throttles down to 799mhz and then back to normal. this causes massive fps drops and makes games unplayable. I suspect the culprit could be a 4.5 amp replacement charger i bought.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Could be the adapter is not providing enough juice. 800MHz is the idle speed for a lot of Intel processors. Try going to Windows 'Power Options' and set it to High Performance and see if the speed goes back to the higher speed.

Try changing the windows power profile to High Performance and see if that helps.

Laptop CPU's and desktop CPU's have the ability to power save when not required for full speed.

See how you get on.

One reason for cpu throttling is excessive heat.
Clean out any dust and verify that your cpu cooler is working properly.

Explicitly select the nvidia graphics and a high performance power profile.
You must play plugged in to avoid slow performance.

ArhamAsam

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks for the answers, but the thermals are not the problem, as well as the high performance as my laptop is always on high performance. I think the lack of power may be the issue, but sometimes it works perfectly even with the same charger. I really don't want to have to buy another charger before trying everything else, but thanks for the effort.

ArhamAsam

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

Do you think i could force extra voltage to get it to run at 6.75 volts? even if it drains the battery? I REALLY dont want to have to purchase another charger.