[SOLVED] Laptop CPU Keeps "throttling" in Performance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKOKGaming

Prominent
Oct 28, 2021
I don't know why , but my laptop (hp 14s cf2-2040tx)always when i play some games always overheats , so I repasted the old paste and it still throttles down to around 1.2 GHz to 0.9 GHz even with 72'c in temperature . can anyone give me some answers?

Solution
try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90%
The 10210U uses a high percentage of turbo boost. As soon as the Windows power plan maximum processor state is set to 99%, Intel Turbo Boost is completely disabled. The 10210U can run as fast as 3900 MHz when more than 1 core is active and turbo boost is enabled. This drops to only 1600 MHz when you disable turbo boost. I would avoid this trick. Leave the maximum processor state at the default 100%.

For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
Most laptops are setting a PROCHOT Offset value. This forces the CPU to start thermal throttling before it reaches the 100°C Intel specification. Most laptops only reduce the...

OKOKGaming

Prominent
Oct 28, 2021
I think i know How to stop your CPU throttling

Method 1

1. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Set it to High Performance
Method 2
  1. Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Processor Power Management. > Set max processor state to 90 and min processor state to 80
(I set it to 90 instead of 100 coz it will start to throttle again if it is in 100)
It does work , But why is it always stuck at 1.9ghz and not its boost clock? (2.2ghz)Thanks for helping btw.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's because it's a U SKU prioritizing battery life. U denotes low power, and you run into the power limit so easily in games. It's 15w, with a max of 25w.
It wasn't intended for gaming on - disregarding any possible gaming adverts when you bought it - and more of a light work chip.
Non-U models are 35w and up.

There's no fix other than returning the laptop for a non-U one.
FYI: boost clock scales based on how many cores/threads are active. The fewer that are active at a time, the higher the max boost is.

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90%
The 10210U uses a high percentage of turbo boost. As soon as the Windows power plan maximum processor state is set to 99%, Intel Turbo Boost is completely disabled. The 10210U can run as fast as 3900 MHz when more than 1 core is active and turbo boost is enabled. This drops to only 1600 MHz when you disable turbo boost. I would avoid this trick. Leave the maximum processor state at the default 100%.

Most laptops are setting a PROCHOT Offset value. This forces the CPU to start thermal throttling before it reaches the 100°C Intel specification. Most laptops only reduce the throttling temperature by 5°C or so. I was helping a user yesterday with his Lenovo laptop that was thermal throttling at only 37°C. It is crazy what some manufacturers are doing to their laptops.

3HbbXzV.png

HWMonitor or HWinfo
Neither of these apps report the true thermal throttling temperature and they have no ability to solve any of the common laptop throttling issues. @OKOKGaming should be using ThrottleStop.

Post lots of screenshots of ThrottleStop. Include the main window and the TPL and FIVR windows. Also post a picture of the Options window so I can see what PROCHOT Offset is set to and whether HP has locked this setting or not. Turn on the Log File option and play a game for at least 15 minutes so you have a record of your CPU performance and temperatures. Copy and paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com and post a link to that data so I can have a look.

when i play some games always overheats
At 72°C, your laptop is not overheating. Most throttling in U series CPUs is more likely to be power limit related. The 15W TDP power limit does not allow these CPUs to run at their full rated speed indefinitely. They are designed to constantly power limit throttle so they do not exceed 15W. A lot of monitoring software does not accurately report the speed of these CPUs while they are power limit throttling. The ThrottleStop log file will correctly report what is going on.

Last edited:
Solution

OKOKGaming

Prominent
Oct 28, 2021

At 72°C, your laptop is not overheating. Most throttling in U series CPUs is more likely to be power limit related. The 15W TDP power limit does not allow these CPUs to run at their full rated speed indefinitely. They are designed to constantly power limit throttle so they do not exceed 15W. A lot of monitoring software does not accurately report the speed of these CPUs while they are power limit throttling. The ThrottleStop log file will correctly report what is going on.
Sorry for replying late but I am pretty sure that my laptop is related to power limit from U cpus and my CPU's Turbo Boost , I turned back the maxinum processor state to 100% and it turbo'ed back to 3.1 ghz to 3.9 ghz when i game or edit videos. Thanks everyone who has replied to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS