Laptop CPU overheating and throttling [95 ºC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedro Lima

Reputable
May 15, 2015
So this is a Samsung laptop, i5-2450M @2.5 GHz - stock - with up to 3.2 on turbo boost, or something.
I have had this laptop for close to 3 years, and in the last 1-2 months, game performance started to get real bad, horrible FPS drops and whatnot.

Turns out my CPU is running at ~70ºC AT IDLE and when I fire up a game (CS:GO, for example), the temperatures go up to 95 ºC, which causes it to throttle the max freq to 31% every few seconds, until it cools enough to go back to normal, heats up instantly, repeat (throttling happens at the same time as FPS drops, naturally)

Worth noting:
-The heatsink on the laptop was replaced a few months back (my guess would be 6 months) because of a malfunctioning fan
-2 days ago, I went to my local PC shop to get the dust off and change the thermal paste (the pc man said it wasn't dusty and the old paste was still good, still cleaned it and changed the paste)
-And I still get these crazy temperatures.
-I even opened it up and unscrewed the heatsink a bit, and then re-tightened it, just to be sure. Still no change.
-When I opened it up, I loaded CS:GO with the laptop still open, and indeed, the copper heatsink was incredibly hot, and the fan is blowing hot air at full speed.
-I even use a laptop platform with 2 fans

I have literally no idea why this is happening and would really appreciate any input.

1shado1

Distinguished
The copper heatsink pipes contain a small amount of fluid which aids in the cooling process. It is possible that the integrity of the seal on the pipes has somehow been compromised, allowing the fluid to escape. Relatively unlikely, but it has happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.