Laptop CPU Replacement

Sep 10, 2020
Hi,

I have a HP G62 laptop. I can replace the cpu but i don't know what are my options to buy. I upgraded RAM to 16GB, and bought a new SSD. What can I buy for CPU.
I need a powerful CPU.

USAFRet

Titan
Need a LOT more info beyond "HP G62 "
What CPU is in it now?

"I need a powerful CPU " probably isn't going to happen. It will need to be compatible with the existing motherboard AND BIOS.
Only changeable within a small range, if at all.

Sep 10, 2020
Need a LOT more info beyond "HP G62 "
What CPU is in it now?

"I need a powerful CPU " probably isn't going to happen. It will need to be compatible with the existing motherboard AND BIOS.
Only changeable within a small range, if at all.
HP G62 B29ST i5 M460

Sep 10, 2020
Thanks for the help. Looks like it's time to build a new pc. I have a 2016 model Lenovo Ideapad but it wasn't enough for video processing so thanks again.

Hi,

I have a HP G62 laptop. I can replace the cpu but i don't know what are my options to buy. I upgraded RAM to 16GB, and bought a new SSD. What can I buy for CPU.
I need a powerful CPU.

It's hard to know what you mean by powerful?

The safest upgrade would probably be to the i7 - 640M - (same socket, micro-architecture and thermal design power) ... almost certain to work. Your current processor runs at 2.53 and will turbo to 2.8 GHz. The 640M runs at 2.8 and will turbo to 3.46 GHz. Looking at the turbo speeds that's like what ... a 23 - 24% increase in performance. Is that enough?

There are other upgrades using different micro-architecture and thermal design power) with higher speeds and quad core etc. but how likely they are to work with your bios, motherboard and cooling system is anyone's guess. Much riskier.