Laptop CPU running at 90 degrees.

Forthwind

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
Hi, i just want to ask about i7 CPU because i own 2 gaming laptops and i just realized that I've been gaming and rendering on my old one (ROG G750JH) at 90+ degrees for almost 3 years now. Though not all games runs at 90 degrees but I've been rendering 3D graphics with keyshot and playing overwatch, mass effect andromeda which are known to be cpu intensive. So my concern is that should i be worried since i've been doing this for quite awhile now and my old Laptop is still kicking in. I'm concern about my new one (ROG GL702VMK) since they both run at the same temperature. Should i be worried or amazed on how these laptops can handle such stress. I recently bought a cooling pad for the 1st time ever since i bought a laptop and i'm a bit bothered since the new one was bought in singapore so RMA is a bit hard though as much as possible i don't want to RMA.

Solution
This is normal. Intel validates these CPUs to run reliably up to 100c, and laptop manufacturers take advantage of that and design their cooling systems to keep the CPU below that. Most mobile chips run that warm under load and it does not affect reliability.

EndlessZone123

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
A computer can handle 90C but that is sill quite high normally you want it to max out at 80c or so. Have you tried cleaning the fans? or maybe turn down the settings because if you plan on using it for a few more years it might have side effects. One easy trick is to set the max CPU load in power options to 99%. It shouldn't hurt to much performance but make it much cooler. Power>Advanced>Cpu(someting I forgot)>plugged in. It should be set to 100 for defult.

This is normal. Intel validates these CPUs to run reliably up to 100c, and laptop manufacturers take advantage of that and design their cooling systems to keep the CPU below that. Most mobile chips run that warm under load and it does not affect reliability.

Solution

Forthwind

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
Thank you for the replies. I did an undervolt and used MSI afterburner to tweak the gpu and cpu and i rarely get to 90 degrees now. Though i'm pretty amazed with the G750 for handling such stress for years now. Thanks!