Laptop CPU seems to have a hard cap, will not go higher than 36% at any point.

alvaro.bataller.cg

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
So my old laptop battery died so I decided to remove the battery and only use the charger as the power source at home.

I rarely use this laptop and I wanted to set it up to help me render some animations. After doing some tests I noticed I rendered quite slow, after checking the CPU usage I noticed the CPU speed is at a constant 0.79 GHz no matter how much load it has. When I render or when I try to stress test the CPU with IntelBurnTest the CPU usage never goes over 36%.

I have SpeedStep turned off in the BIOS. Im also in High Performance Power Plan and both minimum and maximum processor rate are set to 100%

Anyone has any idea of why this would be happening? When I used this laptop maybe like 10 months ago it was working fine, I think it could be the battery that I removed but I dont understand why.

It should be working the same with just the power charger.
When I try to use it with the battery and the charger I get Blue Screen Of Death very often.

f62d7b4ee332abd1464a6c7e1a8cbea7.png

Solution
It sounds like your battery shorted and may have damaged your components. You're probably going to have to send it in for repairs.