andrei09able

Honorable
Oct 28, 2014
Hello. I recently added an SSD to my laptop and while I was in there I went about replacing the thermal paste on the gpu and cpu as it was somewhat old. I've done this many times both on my PC and my laptop but usually when doing it on my laptop it always seemed that there wasn't enough paste applied,as in the cpu's and gpu's heatsinks were pretty clean and not completly covered in paste.
Even though I haven't had temp issues (atleast I don't think so or I haven't noticed as the max temps never went above 87C in a worst case scenario for my usual use) I thought I should apply a bit more this time but I think I added a little too much.
I tested the GPU with Furmark for about 15 mins and the temps stopped at around 70C-72C(max) and the CPU for a few minutes with Prime95 (temps around 82-83 with the hottest core at 85).
Idle temps are at around 40 C for both.
That doesn't seem abnormal to me as is's a laptop so temps are naturally going to be higher and both the cpu and gpu have small heatsink's(CPU in particular at half the size of the gpu heatsink) and I know both test loads are pretty much never gonna happen in daily use.
The laptop is a Lenovo Legion y720-15ikb with an i7 7700hq and a GTX 1060.
Are the temps OK or should I be worried?

Solution
It is hard to use too little paste.
The purpose of paste is to fill in microscopic air pits in the mating surfaces.
Paste is a better conductor of heat than air.
But, it is not as good as metal to metal contact.
If the paste you observes extended to the outer rims of the chip, you likely had more than enough.
Keep your cooler vents clear.

If you see 100c. as a max temperature, you will have throttled.
Your temps look good to me.
It is hard to use too little paste.
The purpose of paste is to fill in microscopic air pits in the mating surfaces.
Paste is a better conductor of heat than air.
But, it is not as good as metal to metal contact.
If the paste you observes extended to the outer rims of the chip, you likely had more than enough.
Keep your cooler vents clear.

If you see 100c. as a max temperature, you will have throttled.
Your temps look good to me.

Solution