[SOLVED] Laptop cpu thermal throttling

emilehmedlivevo

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
My laptop is overheating even %30-%40 load. I changed the thermal paste, cleaned the fan. I lowered the CPU voltage using throttlestop, underclocked laptop. But nothing helps, I used stress test apps to test cpu, the results suck.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ti3oI-BwIQ

My laptop is HP ENVY 17
specs:
i7 4702mq
8gb ddr3 ram
1tb hdd
gt 750m 4gb. Gpu is not as bad as cpu.

Solution
What thermal paste did you use? How did you apply it?

Also running XTU whilst using TS is not gonna help much. The programs conflict with each other in some cases. And with XTU it will undervolt both CPU and cache together, which can cause instability, whereas with TS you can do them independently of each other. Stick with TS for your undervolt.

Defo look at how your cooler/pipes were seated. As @hotaru.hino suggested if it's not flush with proper application of the paste, your CPU could very well spike that high under load. When screwing the heat pipes back down (and after you've done a new application of thermal paste) try criss crossing them. So if there are 4 screws tighten them at opposite corners diagonally, so it applies...

Lutfij

Titan
The hardware on your platform is dated, you're probably getting what you should out of that hardware. On a side note, what BIOS version are you currently on for your laptop? What OS version are you on, assuming you're on Windows 10? FYI, you can undervolt but underclocking is not a good idea with the 4th gen platform. Single stick of 8GB of ram or is it a dual channel kit? Make and model of the stick of ram?

emilehmedlivevo

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
View: https://imgur.com/EJ3bD6h

Windows 10 Enterprise x64
The hardware on your platform is dated, you're probably getting what you should out of that hardware. On a side note, what BIOS version are you currently on for your laptop? What OS version are you on, assuming you're on Windows 10? FYI, you can undervolt but underclocking is not a good idea with the 4th gen platform. Single stick of 8GB of ram or is it a dual channel kit? Make and model of the stick of ram?

Going by https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Envy-17t-j003-Notebook.100557.0.html#toc-energy-management

While I'm inclined to believe that the laptop will reach the upper limits of its temperature threshold (100C Tj Max, according to Intel), it doesn't appear to thermal throttle. At least in their testing. Also what do you consider overheating? Because as long as the CPU is under 100C and is maintaining base clocks, it actually isn't overheating as far as the system is concerned.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

emilehmedlivevo

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
Going by https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Envy-17t-j003-Notebook.100557.0.html#toc-energy-management

While I'm inclined to believe that the laptop will reach the upper limits of its temperature threshold (100C Tj Max, according to Intel), it doesn't appear to thermal throttle. At least in their testing. Also what do you consider overheating? Because as long as the CPU is under 100C and is maintaining base clocks, it actually isn't overheating as far as the system is concerned.
No it's definitely overheating, even applications show. It decreases the clock speed up to 50% to save the CPU from damage.

What thermal paste did you use? How did you apply it?

Also running XTU whilst using TS is not gonna help much. The programs conflict with each other in some cases. And with XTU it will undervolt both CPU and cache together, which can cause instability, whereas with TS you can do them independently of each other. Stick with TS for your undervolt.

Defo look at how your cooler/pipes were seated. As @hotaru.hino suggested if it's not flush with proper application of the paste, your CPU could very well spike that high under load. When screwing the heat pipes back down (and after you've done a new application of thermal paste) try criss crossing them. So if there are 4 screws tighten them at opposite corners diagonally, so it applies even pressure on the paste to spread out properly.

edit: Also, set your OSD in MSI to show the CPU clockspeed for all cores. It will provide a better idea of your CPU clockspeed changes and what throttling might be going on.

But your CPU temps at a consistent 96-99c range are worrying. Without a doubt it's throttling.

Is the laptop flat on your desk, or raised, or on a cooling pad? Airflow underneath will really help too.

Last edited:
Solution
You cannot get maximum performance out of a CPU if it is constantly bouncing off the 100°C thermal throttling temperature.

What thermal paste did you use? How did you apply it? On mobile CPUs, a thin layer often times works best. You might have to apply the paste several times to find out what works best for your laptop.

Some popular pastes are horrible in laptops. They can quickly pump out so within a week your CPU temperatures will be sky high again. Noctua NT-H2 works well in laptops that run at high temperatures. When you take your laptop apart, have a good look at the coverage.

Post some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup. Exit XTU when using ThrottleStop so the two programs do not interfere with each other.

If you cannot find a way to improve cooling then you might have to use ThrottleStop to reduce your CPU speed to keep the temperatures down. GTA 5 is a CPU demanding game, especially on old hardware. This will reduce your peak game performance but it might improve your overall game experience without the CPU constantly throttling at 99°C. ThrottleStop will show what value HP has set PROCHOT to.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead