wilsonlin3544

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
Hi everyone. I want to upgrade my laptop CPU, and, after looking for the best CPU on sale that matches my current CPU's socket (PGA478), the CPU I want is an Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz. I currently have a Pentium T4300 2.1GHz.
I was just wondering, is it worth it? I live in New Zealand, and it costs $NZ159 ($US125.16). Will my laptop performance go faster by a lot, or by a little? Thanks for your help!

Solution
Well, just because it is the same socket doesn't mean it will be compatible. Check your laptop manufacturer's website for information on what CPUs that laptop might be able to get. Make sure you update the laptop's BIOS before attempting to upgrade the CPU.

Honestly, you will see some difference but it won't be night and day. In my personal opinion, you are better off saving your money for a better laptop. In another year or two, a cheap laptop will be very noticeably more powerful than yours. Actually, I think cheap i3 laptops are definitely more powerful.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Well, just because it is the same socket doesn't mean it will be compatible. Check your laptop manufacturer's website for information on what CPUs that laptop might be able to get. Make sure you update the laptop's BIOS before attempting to upgrade the CPU.

Honestly, you will see some difference but it won't be night and day. In my personal opinion, you are better off saving your money for a better laptop. In another year or two, a cheap laptop will be very noticeably more powerful than yours. Actually, I think cheap i3 laptops are definitely more powerful.

Solution

wilsonlin3544

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012

OK thanks, I will wait and save enough money to buy a better laptop.

TRENDING THREADS