Laptop CPU Upgrade

lasan.sudeera

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017
Hello, I am planning to Upgrade my Laptop CPU, the laptop model is Asus X550L, which only has a single memory slot. So I thought of upgrading my CPU to least increase some performance. I have experience on desktops however not much on Laptops.

The processor is i7 4500U CPU. As I know it must use a socket like
FCBGA1168.

So my question is, Is it Upgradable? And if so can u guys please help me with what CPUs I should go to.

And my other question is, even though my laptop has a single memory slot, I see that there are paths for another memory slot. If I solder a socket, will it work?

Thanks.

Solution
Short answer: No

Long answer: Most, if not all laptop have their cpu soldered to the motherboard making any modifications to it nearly impossible. Some may work yes, but you'll need to know how to solder, how to remove the old soldered CPU without destroying the socket in the process. Also most laptop motherboards come preconfigured to support one specific CPU, so while it may have the same socket type, the bios may not support it, causing the system to be bricked and unusable voiding any and all warranties in the process. So the answer is maybe, but it will require extensive research first.

TwilightRavens

Reputable
Mar 17, 2017
Short answer: No

Long answer: Most, if not all laptop have their cpu soldered to the motherboard making any modifications to it nearly impossible. Some may work yes, but you'll need to know how to solder, how to remove the old soldered CPU without destroying the socket in the process. Also most laptop motherboards come preconfigured to support one specific CPU, so while it may have the same socket type, the bios may not support it, causing the system to be bricked and unusable voiding any and all warranties in the process. So the answer is maybe, but it will require extensive research first.

Solution