Question Laptop CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2021
Hello, i am looking to upgrade my laptop (Lenovo G400s, i3-3110m) with a new CPU (Core i7-3630qm). I found a listing for the new CPU at around 70US dollars (Rp.1.000.000). Is this upgrade worth the money, will this upgrade affect my gaming performance, and will i run into any potential troubles while doing the upgrade? Thanks in advance.

Possible problems.

The BIOS does not support that cpu. Did they ever sell that model laptop with that cpu? If yes your chances of support are better but not guaranteed.

You would be going from a 35w TDP to 45w TDP (+28%) cpu. There is a strong possibility of having power or heat issues.

Aug 13, 2021
Possible problems.

The BIOS does not support that cpu. Did they ever sell that model laptop with that cpu? If yes your chances of support are better but not guaranteed.

You would be going from a 35w TDP to 45w TDP (+28%) cpu. There is a strong possibility of having power or heat issues.
Thank you very much kind sir! Would there be a kind of work-around that could fix said problems?

Thank you very much kind sir! Would there be a kind of work-around that could fix said problems?
If the BIOS doesn’t support the cpu there is no fix.

If the cpu has heat or power issues you might be able to undervolt or/and underclock it but this is not guaranteed and may reduce any performance improvement. Unless you can find a review of someone who has done this before it is an experiment so expect it might fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.