[SOLVED] laptop cpu's GHz, what to choose

Solution

Intel Core i3 (7. Gen) 7020U / 2.3 GHz
and

I5-8265U
i3 is 2 core and i5 is 4 core i know the i5 is better but i was wondering if cpus with low base frequency and high boost frequency like the i 5 is better than cpus with a frequency that is not high or low like the i3
the capable frequency is essentially the boost frequency. i5 is just saying that if you are doing low requirement tasks that it will run at a lower frequency to save power.
think of the i5 as a better cpu that is more power efficient than the i3.

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
that totally depends on how many cores you have. 1.6 ghz with 3.9 boost means that it will run at 1.6 ghz normally to increase power efficiency and boost to 3.9 at times when it is under heavy work load. depending on the cpu the 2.3 ghz cpu might have a higher boost clock. What are these two CPUs by name?

sesoe123

Reputable
May 29, 2016
that totally depends on how many cores you have. 1.6 ghz with 3.9 boost means that it will run at 1.6 ghz normally to increase power efficiency and boost to 3.9 at times when it is under heavy work load. depending on the cpu the 2.3 ghz cpu might have a higher boost clock. What are these two CPUs by name?

and

I5-8265U
i3 is 2 core and i5 is 4 core i know the i5 is better but i was wondering if cpus with low base frequency and high boost frequency like the i 5 is better than cpus with a frequency that is not high or low like the i3

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017

and

I5-8265U
the capable frequency is essentially the boost frequency. i5 is just saying that if you are doing low requirement tasks that it will run at a lower frequency to save power.
think of the i5 as a better cpu that is more power efficient than the i3.

Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf
Solution

Andyme177

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
It really depends on how you are going to use the computer. If you are just using a computer for word processing and email and web browsing i3 is great just make sure you got enough ram to not be a slow system and enough space for what you need to have. I bought a Toshiba laptop i7 back when they were around $2000.00 it played games like Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft great. Today's games need more speed and available memory. For the Ghz the faster it is at it's base speed the less work it has to do so the less energy, less heat and may even last you longer before you need upgrades or just simply the computer dies from use.