Laptop crashes when off battery

kevinmaster5000

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Hello~

My laptop, and Asus Republic of Gamers, G75VX edition, will shut down completely at random times, ONLY when running on battery. By this i mean, I have close to no problems when my laptop is plugged in.

What happened exactly is when my laptop is running on the battery, at a random time, it can be 5 mins, it can be 30 mins, it will suddenly just shutdowns completely. I can turn the laptop on again after it shuts down and look at the power available. I made sure to check if it's from low power, and there seems to be no correlation, as in it'll shut down at any percent, whether it's at 10% of 70%.

I've had this laptop for about 2 and a half years now, maybe closer to 3 years. This has been happening for about 3 - 5 months now, so it hasn't been happening even since I purchased it. I updated software, drivers, GPU drivers, and even upgraded to windows 10, i some how managed to fix every issue but this crashing. I haven't been able to find anything in the power plan settings to find this, unless someone can suggest looking at something in particular.

And even got an energy report out of it, seems like the battery is running at about 60% of the manufacturers capacity now. Also I have not replaced the battery yet, using the same one it had came with.

To define what i mean by shutting down is, I will be doing whatever, and in, for example, 15 minutes, every light on the laptop with turn off, keyboard, monitor, everything, and i have to turn it on, so a complete shut down when on battery.

Any suggestions?

In my opinion, it seems like the battery may be replaced. But I am not sure how to make sure the battery is what that's being faulty and needs replacement.

Looking forward to every suggestion!

Thank you so much :D

Solution
first off with battery gauge..they can go bad with time as there a small chip inside the battery. if the battery has a dead cell or short is can be heating up. most laptop and newer battery the li ions have heat safty shutoffs. that why your seeing those hover boards going poof. no dead short protection. the only oither part can be the power board if the laptop has one or it be part of the system board. in real world battery will have a slow drain curve if it working. at some point the battery output will be lower then what can run the laptop. with a good battery that when you get the low battery alarm. then the laptop shuts down for safty. if thr battery is bad that might not happen.
first off with battery gauge..they can go bad with time as there a small chip inside the battery. if the battery has a dead cell or short is can be heating up. most laptop and newer battery the li ions have heat safty shutoffs. that why your seeing those hover boards going poof. no dead short protection. the only oither part can be the power board if the laptop has one or it be part of the system board. in real world battery will have a slow drain curve if it working. at some point the battery output will be lower then what can run the laptop. with a good battery that when you get the low battery alarm. then the laptop shuts down for safty. if thr battery is bad that might not happen.

Solution

kevinmaster5000

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Sorry, it's a bit hard to understand what you were trying to say, but i got the general point. So you think i should replace the battery?