Question Laptop Crashing After Installing New Palmrest / Trackpad

Mar 24, 2019
Ive just replaced the palmrest in a laptop (Toshiba Satellite L355D) with another palmest thats from another L355D although a slightly different sub model and now after it boots to Windows, the computer crashes and reboots. I reformatted the drive and reinstalled the OS, but its doing the same thing with the new OS installation as well. Ive disconnected the ribbon cable that goes to the touchpad and left all the other cables from the palmrest connected and the computer boots into Windows and is stable, so its definitely the new touchpad thats different and tripping this computer out somehow. Is there anything that can be done to resolve this? The trackpad in the old palmrest has buttons that were trashed, so I got a replacement part. I can probably harvest the boards that go under the trackpad and buttons of the old trackpad and try again, but Im hoping not to have to do any of that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

This image shows the underneath of the original trackpad and the boards under the pad and buttons.

https://imgur.com/a/y1KqsRF

Lutfij

Titan
I'd ask you to try and track a replacement part that conforms to your laptop's SKU. Often times, a slightly different part number can be cause for stress. On another note, have you made sure you don't have a BIOS update pending for your Toshiba laptop?

Can you parse the SKU for your current laptop?

Mar 24, 2019
Hi Lutfij,

I was able to find quite a lot of BIOS updates since this laptop had been sitting for a long time - thank you for the suggestion. I updated the computer and it seems to have helped, along with a Windows update and disabling “fast startup” in Windows 10.

When I was looking for palmrest replacement parts, the sellers on eBay didn’t tend to have the full model information listed. The one I’ve got it a Toshiba Satellite L355D-7815.