Question laptop crashing ONLY when plugged in

Feb 21, 2022
I'm prefacing this by saying that I'm not actually sure if this is a motherboard issue as this has been a long ongoing issue and I still haven't figured out why it's happening, i suspect it's the motherboard based on someone I saw with the same laptop and same issue but i could be wrong.

I have an HP pavilion gaming laptop that runs perfectly fine on battery but when I plug it in it crashes barely a minute later, I had originally thought this was an overheating issue but my current setup makes it impossible for it to overheat so I know that's not it. Previously, I had been told to lower the maximum processor state % when on charger, this actually worked until I upgraded to windows 11. I can't downgrade back to windows 10 though because I don't have my backups from then anymore.

At first this really only occurred when playing games but now it's constant, last night I was trying to do a windows update and it did it and then once again while I was running a HP diagnostic test. It does different things when it crashes, sometimes it just turns off, sometimes the screen will go black and sometimes the screen will go black at first but then flash back to what it was on before and stay frozen while make a buzzing noise. Anytime this happens my only option is to hold down the power button and turn it back on BUT if I do this while it's still plugged in my laptop won't work, sometimes the keyboard stops working, sometimes it's my mouse that stops working (usb and trackpad) and sometimes the screen just stays frozen on the lock screen. Other than the windows update and diagnostic test I was trying to do last night everything is up to date and every other diagnostic test comes back with no issues. Just in case it's important the diagnostic test I was doing last night was performing a memory test when it crashed, I'm not sure if it crashed because there's something wrong with the memory or if it's just because of the ongoing issue.

This is all the details I can think of but I can probably provide more information if needed. I got this laptop July 14th, 2021 so it's only a year old and I still use the original HP charger. Also, I've been told before to just use it on battery but this isn't an option when I'm playing games as it dies too quickly.

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

You might want to mention the model and SKU for your HP Pavilion laptop as they have a number of SKU's in their portfolio. To add, can you get into BIOS and see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time?

Considering you're 1.5 years into the laptop's tenure, are you yet within the warranty period(safety net)?

Feb 21, 2022
Happy New Year!

You might want to mention the model and SKU for your HP Pavilion laptop as they have a number of SKU's in their portfolio. To add, can you get into BIOS and see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time?

Considering you're 1.5 years into the laptop's tenure, are you yet within the warranty period(safety net)?

Happy New Year to you as well :)

Model is 15-dk1000
SKU is 2Y3S5UA#ABA
BIOS is I believe F.42

Unfortunately the warranty has already expired

Lutfij

Titan
You don't have any BIOS updates for your laptop.

Previously, I had been told to lower the maximum processor state % when on charger, this actually worked until I upgraded to windows 11.
If you upgraded to the latter OS using the internal upgrade path, meaning you didn't perform a format and install of the OS, you should backup your data, then create a bootable installer for Windows 11 using Windows Media Creation Tools and then perform a format and clean install of the OS.

Feb 21, 2022
You don't have any BIOS updates for your laptop.

Previously, I had been told to lower the maximum processor state % when on charger, this actually worked until I upgraded to windows 11.
If you upgraded to the latter OS using the internal upgrade path, meaning you didn't perform a format and install of the OS, you should backup your data, then create a bootable installer for Windows 11 using Windows Media Creation Tools and then perform a format and clean install of the OS.

ok so I tried that but it won't let me reset on battery and when tried to do it on the charger it would crash, is there anything else I can do?

TRENDING THREADS