[SOLVED] Laptop cuts off power with extenal monitor is plugged when discrete mode is on.

Mar 13, 2022
Hello, I am sorry if this is asked already but I am unable to find a solution or an answer anywhere on the internet! I have a local branded laptop that is almost the same as MSI gp76. Same bios and components etc. My problem started when I decided to switch MSI Hybrid mode to discrete mode and I noticed that the laptops shuts down instantly without any indication or error messages in the event viewer when an external monitor is plugged in after exactly 40 mins later when I leave the computer idle. Nothing happens if I actively use the laptop or it works perfectly fine on hybrid mode. Also it works without any problems with discrete mode on without any external monitor plugged in. I upgraded and downgraded the bios, checked the temps, installed latest drivers, installed windows from scratch but no luck so far. I also tried with another montior and same result. Do you guys have any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
See if it happens in Safe Mode. If it does, it probably isn't a driver issue.
Does it happen if you leave the computer idle for 40 minutes on the BIOS menu? If it does, there is something wrong with the BIOS or the device.
If it doesn't, then the problem lies in the default settings on Windows. Something is scheduled to happen when the computer is idle for 40 minutes - you just need to find out what it is. You can check your Power Settings, Event Viewer, Task Scheduler, MSI software, etc.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
See if it happens in Safe Mode. If it does, it probably isn't a driver issue.
Does it happen if you leave the computer idle for 40 minutes on the BIOS menu? If it does, there is something wrong with the BIOS or the device.
If it doesn't, then the problem lies in the default settings on Windows. Something is scheduled to happen when the computer is idle for 40 minutes - you just need to find out what it is. You can check your Power Settings, Event Viewer, Task Scheduler, MSI software, etc.

Solution