Question Laptop DC Power Jack Repair

powerwin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Laptop: Dell Inspiron N7110

So the female part of my DC power jack ended up looking [Moderator note: deleted link to Dell Refurbisher] (or this) after the plastic middle-tube part got ripped out by the barrel plug male end. Crazy.

Then it was bent and that middle pin was really finicky. After hours with tweezers, I felt like I had I had everything in place, tried to put it on, but it's not 100% right.
Because of that middle data-pin line not being connected, dell punishes us in 2 ways:
  1. No more battery charging
  2. Processor speed has been cut back.
So what are my options here. How do I get this working again? It's really a pain to bend those metal pins to get the barrel plug working again, if I disconnect it.
I wonder how hard it would be to directly connect the power to the DC port pins...

I also read about someone desoldering the id-chip from the power adapter and putting it between the dc port and the mother-board. That's cool.

Anyway, what do I do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Your options?
Replace the power input on the laptop, inspect the laptop charger to see if that might be the culprit and replace that to prevent the same issue from happening or the last option, to bring it into a certified laptop repair shop and have them inspect the laptop and let them do what's necessary.

Nov 3, 2022
Can't find a replacement part.
Did you say cut my charger cord and solder the wires directly to the 3 DC jack pins?

I think that's what you said.
My idea if you cannot find any replacement is to use some other port, the second problem is that you may need another charger.