[SOLVED] Laptop DDR4 2400mhz ram running at 2133mhz only?

poorbugger

Distinguished
Hello everyone, my laptop is an asus gl502vmk so it has a built-in 8gb ram. I checked the built in ram and it's running at 2400mhz. However after buying another ddr4 ram, both of them are running in dual channel but the problem is that it's only running at 2133mhz. Cpuz shows 1064 mhz which is 2133mhz. Any ideas? The installed ram is 2400mhz.

Solution
The link you attached (click on see more product details) still shows the base RAM speed at 2133Mhz. As far as dual channel, I still haven't wrapped my brain around how adding memory to installed memory can result in dual channel, but apparently it does :) However it still looks like in single channel mode your RAM speed will be 2400Mhz and in dual channel, it will be 2133Mhz. Apparently this is not unusual.
According to the specs on your computer https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL502VM/specifications/, the speed of the 8mb of the installed RAM is 2133Mhz. Further, to run in dual channel, you need to have the same amount of matched RAM in both channels and you only have one empty slot for additional RAM (just becasue the RAM is dual ranked, does not mean it is running in dual channel). Most likely, the BIOS has a default increased clocking of the installed 2133Mhz RAM to 2400Mhz, however, when you added additional RAM, even though it is 2400Mhz RAM, the BIOS has reverted the RAM to the base memory speed of your system. I don't know if matching the installed RAM will clock it up the RAM or not, and I would run a system analysis, ie HWinfo64 to see if your system is running in dual channel.

poorbugger

Distinguished
According to the specs on your computer https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL502VM/specifications/, the speed of the 8mb of the installed RAM is 2133Mhz. Further, to run in dual channel, you need to have the same amount of matched RAM in both channels and you only have one empty slot for additional RAM (just becasue the RAM is dual ranked, does not mean it is running in dual channel). Most likely, the BIOS has a default increased clocking of the installed 2133Mhz RAM to 2400Mhz, however, when you added additional RAM, even though it is 2400Mhz RAM, the BIOS has reverted the RAM to the base memory speed of your system. I don't know if matching the installed RAM will clock it up the RAM or not, and I would run a system analysis, ie HWinfo64 to see if your system is running in dual channel.
Hello thanks for the reply but the link that you sent is the older models running on skylake. That version is 2133mhz but the one i have is kaby lake version with 2400mhz installed. When i took out the installed ram and check in cpuz, it's running on 2400mhz single channel. With the installed additional ram, it will run in 2133mhz but dual channel. This is the one that i have ; https://www.amazon.com/GL502VM-G-SYNC-Gaming-Laptop-i7-7700HQ/dp/B01MS14CQH

The link you attached (click on see more product details) still shows the base RAM speed at 2133Mhz. As far as dual channel, I still haven't wrapped my brain around how adding memory to installed memory can result in dual channel, but apparently it does :) However it still looks like in single channel mode your RAM speed will be 2400Mhz and in dual channel, it will be 2133Mhz. Apparently this is not unusual.

Last edited:
Reactions: poorbugger
Solution

poorbugger

Distinguished
I see thank you for the information man. Ill just stick with the 2133mhz then :/