[SOLVED] Laptop Dead; Motherboard Responsible?

Animyr

Honorable
Oct 14, 2014
I recently disassembled my Hp dv6 pavilion laptop for the first time in order to clean the fans. Once put back together it worked perfectly for 3 days until it shut down after it was accidentally unplugged while I was away and the power drained. Now I can't turn it on again. The light on the side turns on when I plug in the charger but that's it.

I've already tried removing the battery, removing the charger, pushing the power button to discharge static, removing cmos, etc all to no effect. Also tried swapping the ram slots. I've taken it apart again but haven't found any obvious issues.

At this point the big question is whether or not the motherboard works, but I'm not sure how to do that when the laptop won't turn on. I'd prefer to fix this at home if possible. How can I verify the motherboard's condition?

Solution
I recently disassembled my Hp dv6 pavilion laptop for the first time in order to clean the fans. Once put back together it worked perfectly for 3 days until it shut down after it was accidentally unplugged while I was away and the power drained. Now I can't turn it on again. The light on the side turns on when I plug in the charger but that's it.

I've already tried removing the battery, removing the charger, pushing the power button to discharge static, removing cmos, etc all to no effect. Also tried swapping the ram slots. I've taken it apart again but haven't found any obvious issues.

At this point the big question is whether or not the motherboard works, but I'm not sure how to do that when the laptop won't turn on. I'd prefer...
Jul 2, 2020
Have you tried it without RAM? Maybe there is a different behaviour.
Diagnostic on a motherboard is pretty difficult, at least I think so, I am trying to learn it right know. There are a lot of videos on youtube as guidance.

At this point the big question is whether or not the motherboard works, but I'm not sure how to do that when the laptop won't turn on. I'd prefer to fix this at home if possible. How can I verify the motherboard's condition?

You can't really test the motherboard but from what you tried it does point to a bad board. Have you tried with different RAM? Those DV6 models have a history or failing, usually the video chip on them fried. Since it's an older model, I would either replace it or buy the same model that is fully working and swap your drive into that, not really worth buying parts for it.

Solution