[SOLVED] Laptop detects wrong GPU

Aug 5, 2022
My laptop is Lenovo g50-45. I've been searching through the internet for quite a while, and every website tells me, as well as Lenovo official software, that I have AMD R5 M230. But AMD software and devmgmt.msc shows AMD HD 8500M. Also, I cant use discrete GPU anywhere, it is not detected by any programms and games. How can I solve this?

Now, I don't quite recall it well. I might have changed the name of the graphic card in regedit a few years ago (my laptop is 8 years old, and yes, I am an idiot) while I was trying to boost the performance of it. Would it be enough for me to just change it back?

Solution
If you haven't reinstalled the OS after you upgraded from 8.1 to 10, then now's a good time to reinstall your OS(Windows 10) and then manually reinstall all your drivers, sourced from Lenovo's support site.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Have you made sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version? Also, you should source your GPU drivers from Lenovo's support site since their drivers could be coded differently when compared to the one's found off AMD's support site. What OS are you working with? Just to add, what is your laptop's SKU?

Aug 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Have you made sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version? Also, you should source your GPU drivers from Lenovo's support site since their drivers could be coded differently when compared to the one's found off AMD's support site. What OS are you working with? Just to add, what is your laptop's SKU?
Hey there. My BIOS is outdated, I'm actually seeing to it now, but I'm not quite sure it'll fix the problem
I've checked all the equipments by the SKU, both on Lenovo and foreign websites, and there was never used HD 8500M, only series R2 to R5.
OS is Win10, updated from Win 8.1

Aug 5, 2022
OS is Win10, updated from Win 8.1
Did you reinstall the OS after the internal upgrade path?
No, I don't think so. But it is a good site I've used, and there were no problems until, like recently. I've dived into this after I've noticed that the colors were inverted in fullscreen in some games, like Rimworld and Disco Elisium.