Question Laptop display goes haywire then refuses to boot

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
So I just got back home, turned on my laptop, only to be greeted by this horrific screen.

Not sure what happened as it was working just fine mere hours ago. It wasn't dropped or anything. I pressed a key on the keyboard (the number 2, because it asked for PIN) and it rebooted instantly. It then got stuck on the "lenovo logo" with the spinning cursor, the cursor didn't move when strange green lines appear across the screen. Whenever I pressed any key, the lines position changed, then it turned off.
Pressing the power button yields no result.

I thought the LCD might somehow be broken, so I connected the laptop to my PC's monitor through HDMI, no signal. The monitor doesn't even detect anything is connected.

Here's the current situation. When I press the power button, the laptop does turn on, the fans spin audibly, the little LED that indicates the laptop is in operation lights up. Only the screen is completely black. Not just blank screen, but not even the backlight is on. Pressing the caps lock does nothing (there's a little LED on the caps lock key that lights up depending on whether caps lock is on, the LED works even before the laptop boots to Windows,not this time). There's also a little LED indicator next to the webcam that usually lights up momentarily when the laptop is booting, but this time there's nothing. Connecting the laptop to AC power works (I guess), evident from the little charging indicator lighting up.

Should I let it sit overnight and see what happens? I can't disconnect the battery as it's sealed in.

Anything else I should try?

The model is a Lenovo Idea pad Slim 3, the one with Ryzen 3.

EDIT : Tried turning it on again because I couldn't help it. It managed to show the lenovo logo for like 4 seconds before the display turns black (no back light). This means the LCD is at least okay. Still same symptoms as above...

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
check the warranty status on the lenovo homepage

cmos reset will work similar to this:
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=76I2Ec9K7lw

yes an integrated GPU can get faulty as well. but check the RAM as well

Alright, sorry, I haven't really tried resetting the BIOS. Was about to. But before I pulled it apart I powered it on in case it has "fixed" itself.

And it worked!

Sort of. It went straight to "Automatic repair", took a few seconds and then a blue screen (not bsod) saying something along the lines of "automatic repair couldn't find the problem". I picked "continue to Windows 11", it restarted, and it was able to reach the login screen. Even the desktop! No display artifacts whatsoever. The keyboard worked, the touch pad worked, the speaker, WiFi, it pretty much ran normally. I thought it already repaired itself so I opened up Edge just to test it, and then the screen went black with the fan running at full speed. But instead of the screen went completely blank with no back light, the screen's back light still lights up, so it's sort of gray now... Currently it's stuck in this black screen. Tried to connect it to an external monitor and still no signal.

As of now, I really don't want to turn it off as, well, the laptop finally reached the desktop after like 4 hours of restarting. I'm thinking of waiting until the battery runs out before taking it apart. Do you think it's safe to assume that components like the SSD to not be the culprit? Because, it managed to load into Windows and actually function normally if only for a moment.

EDIT : It's out of warranty, unfortunately. It's to be expected though as it was purchased in like 2018 or something.

could be a heat problem or the display cable is making a short to something.
it´s hardware related
push the power button till it powers off (about 10 to 30 seconds)
get new thermal paste, open the laptop, remove the battery connector to the motherboard, disassemble the cooler, remove the old paste with a Q-Tip , repaste, reassemble and try again

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
could be a heat problem or the display cable is making a short to something.
it´s hardware related
push the power button till it powers off (about 10 to 30 seconds)
get new thermal paste, open the laptop, remove the battery connector to the motherboard, disassemble the cooler, remove the old paste with a Q-Tip , repaste, reassemble and try again

Sorry for the late reply..
Followed your instructions. Opened up the laptop, disassembled the cooling system, cleaned it, repasted it, put it back together. I used a Deepcool Z5, the same paste I use for my PC. While at it, I also reset the BIOS following that video you've mentioned.

Still no luck. Now it's back to "no light at all" on the screen. The fan still spins. What should I try next?

next thing would be replacing the RAM if possible, if it's soldered to the motherboard, reflowing the solderjoints could help.
the CPU as well
check all connections like USB and others that no foreign object is stuck or pins bent

Last edited:

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
next thing would be replacing the RAM if possible, if it's soldered to the motherboard, reflowing the solderjoints could help.
the CPU as well
check all connections like USB and others that no foreign object is stuck or pins bent

Alright... So what I've tried is transplanting the RAM from the problematic laptop to another one that I know is working. No issues with the RAM. Same with the SSD. However, about half of the RAM is soldered, so nothing I can do about that. I'm not good with soldering...

Also tried booting it with another stick of RAM I have lying around and a spare SSD I have. Nothing.

I can assure you no foreign object has entered the insides, also have cleaned it thoroughly from dust and whatever to the best of my abilities.

However, this afternoon it was able to boot up normally until it died again, and I was able to try the USB ports and confirm they're functional. It seems the laptop will boot normally after it's been off for some time, how long it stays on is proportional to how long it's been turned off...