[SOLVED] Laptop display not showing anything

Oct 2, 2019
Hi,

I switched on the laptop a few days ago and the laptop display remained black. I have tried the following:

1. Removing the battery, AC adapter and all USB devices and holding the power button down for 30 sec, 1 minute and 2 minutes

2. Removing all the batteries (including the cell battery), AC adapter and all USB devices and holding the power button down for 30 sec, 1 minute and 2 minutes

3. Removing ram, switching laptop on and then rearranging the ram and trying it several times

4. Removing the Hardrive

5. Removing the GPU

6. Disconnecting the internal cable which provides power to the laptop (the display seems to be getting power) and reconnecting it

7. I flashed the BIOS again (same bios version)

8. Disconnecting the cable which seems to provide data to the laptop display (the laptop beeps), but nothing once I reconnect

9. I closed the laptop lid so that it was only slightly open i.e. so that I could press the power button, and then opened it as it booted-this worked when it happened in the past

An external monitor works, in fact, everything else works. I am using the laptop to type this message. Windows doesn't detect that there is another monitor i.e. the external monitor is the only one detected.

I do not know whether this is a display issue or a motherboard issue, or neither of the. It has happened twice in the past, once it switched back on after being off for a long time (thought it was broken) and the other time I did what I described in point 9 above.

Grateful for any help.

Thanks

Solution
Hi,

I switched on the laptop a few days ago and the laptop display remained black. I have tried the following:

1. Removing the battery, AC adapter and all USB devices and holding the power button down for 30 sec, 1 minute and 2 minutes

2. Removing all the batteries (including the cell battery), AC adapter and all USB devices and holding the power button down for 30 sec, 1 minute and 2 minutes

3. Removing ram, switching laptop on and then rearranging the ram and trying it several times

4. Removing the Hardrive

5. Removing the GPU

6. Disconnecting the internal cable which provides power to the laptop (the display seems to be getting power) and reconnecting it

Oct 2, 2019
Hi,

4. Removing the Hardrive

5. Removing the GPU

8. Disconnecting the cable which seems to provide data to the laptop display (the laptop beeps), but nothing once I reconnect

9. I closed the laptop lid so that it was only slightly open i.e. so that I could press the power button, and then opened it as it booted-this worked when it happened in the past

An external monitor works, in fact, everything else works. I am using the laptop to type this message. Windows doesn't detect that there is another monitor i.e. the external monitor is the only one detected.

I do not know whether this is a display issue or a motherboard issue, or neither of the. It has happened twice in the past, once it switched back on after being off for a long time (thought it was broken) and the other time I did what I described in point 9 above.

Grateful for any help.

Thanks
Does anyone have any ideas?

Oct 2, 2019
Hi,

4. Removing the Hardrive

5. Removing the GPU

Grateful for any help.

Thanks

I resolved this. For those of you who may encounter this issue. When installing a new graphics make sure that the x-bracket is the right one for your laptop. In this case I had changed the x-bracket to the one that was meant to be used with the graphics card, but it appears to have caused the graphics card not to fit properly in the PCI slot. Once I changed the bracket back the screen worked.

Solution