Laptop - Does covering the mic hole with paper "hovering" over it reduce audio output generally?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
I didn't notice much of a difference with it off or on, but that's likely because I don't have very good ears. The tape is not going over the mic holes but the paper is "hovering" in front of it. I do this to hide my webcam but I extend the paper to not apply the tape over the mic holes.

Does this generally cause less audio input?

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
Audio OUTPUT? No, it won't change the output at all. Think of when you game and talk with your mic. Does anything happen to the output/audio? They are unrelated things. What happens to the one doesn't change anything on the other.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Audio OUTPUT? No, it won't change the output at all. Think of when you game and talk with your mic. Does anything happen to the output/audio? They are unrelated things. What happens to the one doesn't change anything on the other.
Oops, I meant output for the person hearing my mistake.

I didn't notice much of a difference with it off or on, but that's likely because I don't have very good ears. The tape is not going over the mic holes but the paper is "hovering" in front of it. I do this to hide my webcam but I extend the paper to not apply the tape over the mic holes.

Does this generally cause less audio input?

The covering of webcams has gotten way out of hand LOL We have computers come back from a Deli department with the camera covered, and the thing is sitting in the corner where the only thing it can see is some slicing hardware and ham. People should be 40 times more worried about all the other stuff they put online than someone hacking a computer webcam for remote viewing.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
The covering of webcams has gotten way out of hand LOL We have computers come back from a Deli department with the camera covered, and the thing is sitting in the corner where the only thing it can see is some slicing hardware and ham. People should be 40 times more worried about all the other stuff they put online than someone hacking a computer webcam for remote viewing.
I agree, generally something to ease paranoia but I keep it on just in case unless I plan to be using my webcam and mic a lot.