[SOLVED] Laptop Does Not Detect SSD

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
Hi, I recently replaced my laptop's fan with a new one since the old one was having problems. However, once I booted up my computer, it did not boot into Windows. The fan works, but I'm assuming it doesn't detect my SSD that I have Windows installed on. It just leads me to Intel Boot Agent and says no devices were detected. I went into the BIOS and found out that my SSD does not show up there either. Just to make sure one last time, I booted into a Windows 10 recovery USB and tried startup recovery with no success. So I assume I didn't properly re-insert the drive when I was replacing the fan, but everything seems fine, even after re-adjusting it. Did the SSD somehow get corrupted in the process or do I need to like reset my CMOS battery?

My Laptop:
Dell Latitude E6520 (i7 -2760QM, NVS 4200M)

USAFRet

Titan
I'm using a Samsung EVO 860 SSD, it just doesn't make sense because I didn't even touch it during the installation process of the fan.
I'm still thinking one end or the other of the cable that connects this is not quite connected.

It was working.
You opened it up for some maintenance.
You put it back together.
It no longer works.

"everything seems fine" does not mean it IS fine.

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
I'm still thinking one end or the other of the cable that connects this is not quite connected.

It was working.
You opened it up for some maintenance.
You put it back together.
It no longer works.

"everything seems fine" does not mean it IS fine.

that is true, but I just don't know how else to troubleshoot it. At this point it's 100% a hardware problem, but I've tried everything from re-adjusting it, re-inserting it, and applying force to the connector while it was booting up and it still did not detect it. I can send pictures if needed.

Also as a side note, I plugged in the SSD to my other hard drive bay (originally a CD/DVD bay, but I replaced it) and booted from that and Windows booted up fine. I would just leave it like that, but the problem is that, it runs at SATA 2 speeds, not SATA 3 speeds like the main internal one and storage speed is a concern for me.