Question Laptop does not recognize USB (flash drives or transfer cable)

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
My laptop does not recognize USB flash drives, external drives, or my data/transfer cable. Problem discovered when I needed to move files from this laptop to another and nothing worked. USB mouse (wired or wireless) works though.

When I plug in a flash drive, it detects it, but lists it under "Other devices" in Device Manager. Device Manager will show all USB drives and the transfer cable under the Other Devices menu. When I right click the item to view the error message, it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)"

If I try to Update Driver, it tells me it is unable to find or install any drivers (Windows is unable to find any drivers for your device).

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Computer is up to date. Like I mentioned, when I try to update, it tells me that it can't find any. It does a search automatically. Unless there is somewhere specific I'm supposed to go and download a specific driver. Not sure what/where that would be though.

I did try downloading the specific driver for my transfer cable though. That didn't work.