Question Laptop does not shutdown/ sleep fully

Oct 11, 2019
Hi

I have an issue with an old hp pavilion DM4. the laptop does not shutdown correctly, nor sleep. The screen turns off, But the fan keep running.

The issue happens on both linux and Windows, even if I boot into Linux from a Live usb.

I tried to isolate the issue by physically removing the Hard drive, replacing ram, removing cd-rom, wifi-card, internal keyboard, internal mouse, and I even removed the fan cable!

Basically the only thing still connected is the screen, processor , ram stick that has been tested with memtest and works fine with another computer and surely the usb drive I boot live from. And still laptop does not shutdown until I force shutdown by pressing the button.

This issue started to appear after I changed my windows 7 to Windows 10. But idk if is just a coincidence since the issue still happens even with the hard drive not even connected. I did NOT do any bios updates recently, so literally there's nothing that might have caused this issue...

Does anyone have an idea of what I could try to solve this issue, or how I should log/debug it?

Thanks in advance

Oct 11, 2019
Solved.

I know it does not make any sense, but I removed the ram (4+2 GB) sticks and put each of them again to its place multiple times, it didn't work. I swapped them, putting the 2 GB back and the 4 in the front slot and it works now.

My PC does the shutdown/sleep process correctly.