[SOLVED] Laptop does not turn on unless I reset the CMOS battery

May 31, 2020
So I changed my laptop's thermal paste.
Now when I try to turn it on it doesn't work. I do not have any external battery, only the AC supply.
The weird thing is when I take out the CMOS battery and put it back, and plug the AC in, the laptop will start automatically.
After I turn it off, it won't start again unless I take out the battery and put it back.
All of this happens with and without the power button cable in, the power button doesn't have any effect wether I connect it or not.
I think it might be a shortcut in the motherboard. Do you guys have any idea? and if yes is it hard to find?

Thanks

Solution
Does it work otherwise normally when you get it booted up, you could get the message "wrong date and time" obviously since you reset cmos.

You can boot laptop without cmos battery when power button is not connected so this is normal behavior. However something might be wrong with either power button connector or the button itself,

Needs some specs before i can say anything. Re inspect the connector where power button cable plugs in carefully, you might of broken it.
Does it work otherwise normally when you get it booted up, you could get the message "wrong date and time" obviously since you reset cmos.

You can boot laptop without cmos battery when power button is not connected so this is normal behavior. However something might be wrong with either power button connector or the button itself,

Needs some specs before i can say anything. Re inspect the connector where power button cable plugs in carefully, you might of broken it.

Solution
May 31, 2020

I think it's because of the power button cable. It was faulty at first but after using three of them I thought there's a problem with the motherboard.
Now, my ribbon cable has 4 pins. Do you have an idea what happens if I inverse them?
Because I am not sure which was the order before( I cut the end of the cables because the pins were damaged and I peeled the plastic off to reveal them).
1st connection: pressing the power button makes the screen flick two times and shut down, pressing it 2 times back, turns the laptop screen on where it was before. If holding the button, when releasing it will act like one press and turn the screen off.

2nd connection with inversed pins: I think this is the way it was before, but not too much success so far. Maybe it's because of the contact since I have o peel the plastic off to reveal the pins. But at some point when I connect everything the laptop turns on instantly and it still doesn't work as expected.

So no idea so far, I am working on these cables to make them work properly.
Hopefully by inversing the pins or shortcutting them by accident won't damage the mothreboard.

May 31, 2020
  1. what laptop do you have
  2. you say you replaced power button cable / board 4 times is this true?
DO NOT try to connect pins in inverse, just remove the cable completely until you find the solution. Probably broken connector

I managed to fix it.
It was because of the ribbon cable which didn't make contact properly.
Also, I connected the pins inverse and nothing happened... guess I was lucky

It was really helpful to know that motherboard was acting normal as you said. I could focus on the cable problem more.
Thanks for the advice!