[SOLVED] Laptop doesn't charge and dies immediately after unplugging the power adapter ?

My Pet Russian

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
Hi,

My sister's laptop was a preowned HP laptop that she got in December 2018. It's been working absolutely fine, no problems until January 2021 when the battery died, laptop just wouldn't stay on after unplugging. I bought a matching but off brand battery off ebay and fit it, and it worked fine, held a charge etc, but the laptop has died again only 3 months later. I don't want to just put it down to dud battery just yet as I can't replace it just now anyway as she needs to keep it for 2 weeks and it works as it is. Is there any possible ideas of what it could be? Or should we just buy a new battery again and hope for better luck?

She also got an error saying "the system has detected a cooling fan is not operating correctly" but I'm assuming that it's unrelated to the battery, the temps are fine and it has only happened the once.

Thanks for any help.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is there any possible ideas of what it could be?

This:

a matching but off brand battery

The issue with 3rd party (unofficial) hardware has been always the same: cheaper than original (official) but either doesn't last as long as original or flat-out doesn't work. Unofficial hardware, laptop battery in this case, can actually damage the laptop even further. E.g by sending incorrect voltage to it.

Here, you have 2 options. 3, if you make the same mistake again:
  • keep using the laptop when it is plugged in
  • buy official battery
  • buy unofficial battery and cross your fingers it doesn't outright kill the laptop

I wonder, does the price of 2x unofficial batteries match the price of one, official battery? Or does it now exceed it?

My Pet Russian

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
This:

The issue with 3rd party (unofficial) hardware has been always the same: cheaper than original (official) but either doesn't last as long as original or flat-out doesn't work. Unofficial hardware, laptop battery in this case, can actually damage the laptop even further. E.g by sending incorrect voltage to it.

Here, you have 2 options. 3, if you make the same mistake again:
  • keep using the laptop when it is plugged in
  • buy official battery
  • buy unofficial battery and cross your fingers it doesn't outright kill the laptop
I wonder, does the price of 2x unofficial batteries match the price of one, official battery? Or does it now exceed it?

Considering that the issue has happened twice, once with an official battery and now with a unofficial, it doesn't really point to it being the battery. Which is why I was asking. Neither times it did this was any battery degradation noticed before it died. In my experience batteries die slowly over a period of time, slowly dropping charge. Not just outright not charging one day with no previous difficulties. The cheap battery was a quick fix as she was doing uni work and needed it back up and running quickly and cheaply. However, I still have the original battery available, so if I can figure out if it's something else, I can fix that instead and swap in the old battery.

Also, it's started working again last night, took a charge and is currently running. So now I'm extra confused.

My Pet Russian

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
In this case, look if the metal contact pads are clean. Since if they are not and there is no connection between the laptop side and battery side, for electricity to pass through, battery won't charge or discharge.

I'll check that next time I can have a look! I'll give them a good clean with some alcohol. Thanks for your help :)

Reactions: Aeacus