[SOLVED] Laptop doesn't load windows after power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hepsic

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
So I was on my laptop playing among us, then a sudden quick power outage happens, leading to the laptop shutting down; now when I press the power button the boot sceen shows up but after that it's nothing, it's just me waiting with a black screen hoping that windows gets back up

Solution
  1. Unplug the unit
  2. Remove the battery
  3. Press the power button for 20-30 seconds.
  4. Reinstall the battery
  5. Plug the unit back in.
  6. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
  7. Try to start it back up.

Nothing guaranteed here but I have had weird hangs not clear on reboot because the battery is holding things up. The 10-15 minutes is to try to let the battery catch up just a little if it is deadline flat.

Good luck!

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
So I was on my laptop playing among us, then a sudden quick power outage happens, leading to the laptop shutting down; now when I press the power button the boot sceen shows up but after that it's nothing, it's just me waiting with a black screen hoping that windows gets back up
Can you please share the system spcs of this laptop? Brand, model, CPU, ram, and the hard disk?

Reactions: Hepsic

Hepsic

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Can you please share the system spcs of this laptop? Brand, model, CPU, ram, and the hard disk?
It's the acer aspire 5920, he's got:
Windows 7 (was native with windows vista)
Cpu: Intel core 2 Duo processor T5750 (2GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 chace)
Ram: 4 GB of DDR2

For info on HDD and the ram brand I'll need to boot this thing by an usb and check them, I'll be able to do that in an hour or two

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
It's the acer aspire 5920, he's got:
Windows 7 (was native with windows vista)
Cpu: Intel core 2 Duo processor T5750 (2GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 chace)
Ram: 4 GB of DDR2

For info on HDD and the ram brand I'll need to boot this thing by an usb and check them, I'll be able to do that in an hour or two
While not applicable 100% the time, the power outage usually causes damage to the filesystem specially on SSDs. This doesn't mean that the hardware is gone completely, only the data on it may be inaccessible any longer. That is why it is very important to regularly make a back up of your SSD.
If that is the case simply taking out the disk would make the laptop boot up again. But most likely with an error message reporting that there is no boot media available.
If that is the case you can certainly be sure that the disk is the problem.

The fact that it is bootable using a usb also hints towards this analogy as well. You can use that to try and see if your information on that disk is retrievable or not.

I hope this is not a hardware problem and that you can get your data back. Cheers.

Hepsic

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
While not applicable 100% the time, the power outage usually causes damage to the filesystem specially on SSDs. This doesn't mean that the hardware is gone completely, only the data on it may be inaccessible any longer. That is why it is very important to regularly make a back up of your SSD.
If that is the case simply taking out the disk would make the laptop boot up again. But most likely with an error message reporting that there is no boot media available.
If that is the case you can certainly be sure that the disk is the problem.

The fact that it is bootable using a usb also hints towards this analogy as well. You can use that to try and see if your information on that disk is retrievable or not.

I hope this is not a hardware problem and that you can get your data back. Cheers.
Thanks, I'll see what I can do that way

Reactions: xenthia

jasonf2

Distinguished
  1. Unplug the unit
  2. Remove the battery
  4. Reinstall the battery

Nothing guaranteed here but I have had weird hangs not clear on reboot because the battery is holding things up. The 10-15 minutes is to try to let the battery catch up just a little if it is deadline flat.

Good luck!

Solution

Hepsic

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
  1. Unplug the unit
  2. Remove the battery
  4. Reinstall the battery

Good luck!
So I just skipped the battery points cause the battery is broken in the first place, and it actually worked, Idk how that's possible but thanks a lot!

jasonf2

Distinguished
So I just skipped the battery points cause the battery is broken in the first place, and it actually worked, Idk how that's possible but thanks a lot!
I would get a new battery, that is why it probably happened in the first place. Pulling the battery and power and trying a hard reset discharges board/ps capacitors allowing for a clean reboot. Have a great day!

Last edited:

Hepsic

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
I would get a new battery, that is why it probably happened in the first place. Pulling the battery and power and trying a hard reset discharges board/ps capacitors allowing for a clean reboot. Have a great day!
I see, thanks, now I'm just trying to change the flair with solved but Idk how to do that

EDIT: Just had to click on the trophy thing to give a best answer

Status
Not open for further replies.