Question Laptop doesn't post with new RAM stick

Jul 5, 2021
A few things I forgot to mention in the video: the laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 3502, the old stick is 4gb 2400mhz, the new stick is 16gb 2666mhz, and the BIOS is one of those old American Megatrends ones that's just raw text on a blue screen. (And for all of you worried about me working on it on the carpet, I made sure to ground myself every time I moved around.)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Does the laptop boot all the way to the GUI? The way you've shut the laptop down would lead most to think that the OS will end up being corrupt.

Does the CapsLock key on the keyboard flash/blink? Using this support site for your laptop(you can get granular support by inputting the serial number in the field), cross reference the BISO version that you're on for your laptop at the moment of writing and the latest BIOS version listed on Dell's support site. As for your laptop, what processor are you working with(or rather is soldered to the motherboard in your laptop)?

Out of curiosity, how did you ground yourself? I don't live in a carpeted or insulated floor apartment but I've seen arc's go across from fingers/hands to sticks of ram before pronouncing them dead.

Reactions: SamirD
Jul 5, 2021
Does the laptop boot all the way to the GUI? The way you've shut the laptop down would lead most to think that the OS will end up being corrupt.

The laptop still boots to the OS just fine when I put the old stick back in, so no, the OS isn't corrupted. I'm aware that force shutting down isn't good for PCs, I just did it for the sake of the video.

Does the CapsLock key on the keyboard flash/blink?

Nope, it just stays on.

As for your laptop, what processor are you working with(or rather is soldered to the motherboard in your laptop)?

it's a Celeron N4020.

Out of curiosity, how did you ground yourself?

I touched one of the screws on an electrical outlet, which has to be grounded in order for the outlet to work.

Jul 5, 2021
Update: I tried updating the bios and then putting in the new stick, and it still didn't work, but (and this was probably happening the first time I tried too) the light next to the charging port flashes yellow twice and white 4 times when I try to boot it, which is listed on Dell's support site as a "memory or RAM failure." Does that mean that the stick is dead or is the laptop just incompatible?