Question Laptop doesn't recognize audio jack anymore, plays all audio through speakers instead

Apr 22, 2020
This is the third fourth forum I try to ask for help, hopefully third time is a charm.

So, suddenly, my laptop stopped recognizing that a earphone jack is plugged in and plays all sounds through the speakers instead.

- Realtek High Definition Audio driver version 6.0.8899.1, date 18/02/2020. Was on some 2015 driver when this problem started, and before settling with this current driver I'm using, I tried various ones and also tried uninstalling them completely. Still the same.

- Windows 10 v1909 build 18363.778 (was on v1903 when this problem started)

- The earphones are fine, I tried 2 different ones and also tried them on other devices, they work.

- The audio jack port appears to be clear on the inside, when looking down the hole. I also tried to reach the jack from within the laptop, just to inspect it visually. I unscrewed stuff off the inside of the laptop as much as I could (no worries), but ultimately I couldn't reach the jack. It's beyond what I can possibly remove. It's like sealed in a piece that is part of the chassis itself, seems unremovable. The laptop is a Clevo P770ZM (also known as Sager NP9772 ).

- IMPORTANT DETAIL: When I boot the computer with the earphones plugged, before Windows loads up I can hear some faint whitenoise in the earphones, meaning that the audio is correctly being playing through them, but as soon as Windows starts loading up, the earphones get muted and all audio is played from the laptop speakers instead. I've been told that you can get white noise before the system loads as the drivers are not active and active noise cancelling is not working yet. I think this should prove that on a hardware level the jack port works, but they also told me it might not be the case.

What can I do guys?

I'm having a hard time having not being able to play sounds through earphones, especially now that both me and the people around me are home most of the times because of the virus.

Apr 22, 2020
But wouldn't the fact that before Windows loads up I can hear faint static noise in the earphones mean that the jack still works? I would assume that if it was broken, there would be no transmission at all?

Grobe

Distinguished
But wouldn't the fact that before Windows loads up I can hear faint static noise in the earphones mean that the jack still works? I would assume that if it was broken, there would be no transmission at all?
Not necessarily. The switch probably tell the audio driver if there is a headphone plugged in or not, doesn't cut the physical path between audio chip output to the connector.

ASK THE COMMUNITY