Question Laptop draining battery fast while turned off, replacing battery didn't solve it ?

le721

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
I have an old Acer Predator Helios 300 (model G3-572) with a GTX 1060 + i7-7700HQ

Last year I accidentaly plugged in a USB HUB with a 12v adapter and it caused the two usb ports on one side to stop working (see my post), I send it to repair and they managed to fix it, but after that the battery started draining fast overnight when the Laptop is off and not plugged in.

For example if I charge it to 100%, 12 hours later I turn it on and the battery is already down to 80%
If I leave it off for 3 or 4 days the battery is completely drained

I have disabled fast boot in the BIOS and Windows settings, also bought a new battery, but the issue remains.

I believe this could be related to the repair of the two USB ports, but what could I do to stop it them ? Or could it be something else?

I have an old Acer Predator Helios 300
How old?
if I charge it to 100%, 12 hours later I turn it on and the battery is already down to 80%
If I leave it off for 3 or 4 days the battery is completely drained
It could be if original battery it's just getting weak. Test would be charge it fully before bed and than remove battery from laptop. In the morning put it back into laptop is it full or drained like you said.

le721

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
did they repair or replace the motherboard?
reset the bios

just repaired the usb ports, it involved some soldering I think, but I only noticed this issue some months later, when I bought a new PC and stopped using the Laptop for a few days.
Before that it would still drain when off, but not as severe, last year for example I traveled to my sister's house and didn't use the Laptop for about a week, when I returned the battery was still at 95%

I didn't try to reset the BIOS, but I will do, thanks for the tip

How old?

It could be if original battery it's just getting weak. Test would be charge it fully before bed and than remove battery from laptop. In the morning put it back into laptop is it full or drained like you said.

I bought it 4 years ago

I did try leaving the battery out for a few days, and when I put it back in, it was still charged.
I also bought a new battery, and it has the same issue, so the problem is likely on the Laptop

Seems to be a thing about Acer laptops. I bought mine some 2.5 years ago (very cheap Aspire 3 A315-53) for light work and this began as an issue for some 4 months ago.

For a while, a workaround was to press the power button (after supposedly turned off) to kick it on, and then hold the power button down for some 5 seconds to hard shut it down. Try that with your model and see if it helps.

There's a Windows bug. Unplug the laptop before shutting down or putting to sleep.
Which windows version does have this bug? Can you link an article about it?

which power mode is the laptop using? balanced, best power efficiency or best performance?

disable faststart
maybe the Acer has it as well? USB powerbank feature while off in battery mode:

Last edited:

le721

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
Seems to be a thing about Acer laptops. I bought mine some 2.5 years ago (very cheap Aspire 3 A315-53) for light work and this began as an issue for some 4 months ago.

For a while, a workaround was to press the power button (after supposedly turned off) to kick it on, and then hold the power button down for some 5 seconds to hard shut it down. Try that with your model and see if it helps.

There's a Windows bug. Unplug the laptop before shutting down or putting to sleep.

Which windows version does have this bug? Can you link an article about it?

which power mode is the laptop using? balanced, best power efficiency or best performance?

disable faststart
maybe the Acer has it as well? USB powerbank feature while off in battery mode:

I have tried a few things

I disabled the USB always on feature, disabled any fast start both in Windows and BIOS, reset the BIOS by unplugging the CMOS battery, forced shutdown by pressing the power button for a few seconds, nothing worked.

Last try was leaving the Laptop off but without any SSD/HDD connected, it still drained the battery so I think it's not a Windows configuration as well

Don't know if I return the new battery or keep it as backup, as it is a legit battery from Acer, but I don't wan't to spend more money on this laptop