Question Laptop experiencing lag/slowdown upon logging on

Mar 18, 2019
Hey everyone
So I bought myself an asus gaming latptop just over a month ago, and recently it has been acting up. Upon logging in and being faced with the desktop my comupter immediately becomes unresponsive and the cursor dissapears and flashes in and out rapidly. This problem usually occurs when i unplug the laptop. It is relatively high end and ill list the specs
i7 8750H
Gtx 1050 ti
16 gig of ram
Windows ten home
Dual cooling fans
I dont know what motherboard it has sorry. Anyway this problem has not always existed and has only developed recently. Changing the performance settings doesnt seem to help and the task manager shows no problems (less than 10% of the cpu and ran whilst on desktop).
These programs run on startup
Steam
Discord
Spotify
Trend micro premium security
I will continue to troubleshoot and report my findings.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is performance still sluggish if laptop remains on mains power?

Check CPU temps with HWinfo.

What kind of storage drive do you have for Windows and games and how much space is left?

Test laptop ram with memtest. Using a usb stick, boot laptop with it and let it run for 5 or so instances to check for memory errors.
https://www.memtest86.com

Mar 18, 2019
Is performance still sluggish if laptop remains on mains power?

Check CPU temps with HWinfo.

What kind of storage drive do you have for Windows and games and how much space is left?

Test laptop ram with memtest. Using a usb stick, boot laptop with it and let it run for 5 or so instances to check for memory errors.
https://www.memtest86.com
When plugged in the pc runs fine, when not charging it switches into battery saver and immediately becomes totally unusable. The cursor dissapears and i cannot even navigate using tab. Windows is installed on a 128g ssd which has about 20g left, i will try migrating any games on the ssd to the hdd although all of the games on the solid state were there before this problem occured. I will try both the ram and cpu tests soon. But i believe the problem to be that the computer is unable to run all active processes on battery saver despite being able to less than a week ago, is there any way i can change the power plan while on battery while the pc is charging?

Mar 18, 2019
Power plans in Windows if set to best performance should help but think you've tried that.

Could be something else not entirely related but worth checking out to do with power options with wireless/lan adapter.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-my-laptop-become-slower-when-I-remove-the-charging-cable
Cool link, it immediately redirects to the sign in page, based on the first part which i can see before redirect its about changing settings for battery power. Ive said it already, when unplugged my pc becomes totally unresponsive i literally cant change the settings

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh sorry about that. That's weird doesn't redirect me.

I'll quote from there instead, it's to do with wireless adapter.

Solution
[tabs][tab title="Solution 1"]
  1. Click the Start button.
  2. Type Power Options and press Enter.
  3. Click Continue if prompted.
  4. Click “Change plan settings” under the power plan that is currently selected.
  5. Click “Change advanced power settings”.
  6. In the Power Options box, click the + next to “Wireless Adapter Settings” to expand it.
  7. Then click the + next to “Power Saving Mode”.
  8. In the list that appears next to On battery, select “Maximum Performance”.
  9. Click OK.

Mar 18, 2019
Oh sorry about that. That's weird doesn't redirect me.

I'll quote from there instead, it's to do with wireless adapter.
Hey boju,
thanks alot for your continued support however none of your fixes worked, the good news is that my problem seemed to be some sort of bug or hiccup in windows or my hardware itself, im really not sure. but after using my laptop exclusively on charge i tested to see if the problem still occurred and somehow it has resolved itself. again i honestly have no clue why. i have yet to try the pc unplugged from lan, but i will test soon and if its to do with the wireless adapter i will raise it with the it dept at my univeristy.

Mar 18, 2019
Final post I guess, after connecting to wifi and disconnecting from lan (as to isolate the problem and see if it was the wireless adapter, nothing happened. I suppose in the end, it was probably just some sort of weird bug or hiccup in my os.