[SOLVED] Laptop Extremely Slow/Laggy after applying thermal paste

Jan 23, 2020
Hello,

Backstory:
I was having random power loss issues with my ASUS ROG G751JY; my computer would randomly power off, and when the AC was unplugged the PC would power off. I replaced the battery and it worked (battery started at 50%) for hours while the battery charged (it was also able to keep power when unplugged). It worked for hours after the battery was fully charged. I shut off the PC and tried again in the morning and was experiencing the same issue again.

Main question:
I took apart the entire laptop and dusted it off with canned air, and i also replaced the thermal paste for good measure.
Now, the PC runs extremely slow: the OS GUI is extremely laggy and regular processes take much longer than usual.

HWinfo shows nothing wrong with anything ( as far as I can tell); temperatures are fine, no disk failures, all 16gb of ram is detected. The CPU idles at 39-40 degrees, and maxed at like 78 in the first part of the prime95 stress test where it was being used 100%. It was only running for like 10 minutes though. Apparently it passed that particular test, but that was one out of many that will be running for hours apparently....

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? Could I have done physical damage to the motherboard to cause this?

Also, if i unplug the AC the laptop loses power , but it has yet to shut off on its own.

Any insight would be much appreciated! Thank you so much.

Solution
Check task manager, see if anything is running that might be slowing down everything else. If utilization of CPU is low, and you still have performance issues, try a live boot OS and see if the issue persists.

Remeca

Reputable
Check task manager, see if anything is running that might be slowing down everything else. If utilization of CPU is low, and you still have performance issues, try a live boot OS and see if the issue persists.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS