Question Laptop fan died, now the new fan is maybe dying

Feb 8, 2021
I have an Acer Helios 300 17" that's around three years old now. A few months back one of the fans gradually got noisier. I put it off until the fan began starting and stopping over and over, then had to do something about it. First I cleaned the fan and lubricated it. That seemed to help but only for a couple weeks, so when it began starting/stopping again, I replaced the fan. That went smoothly enough other than my complaining about the sheer number of tiny screws involved in getting the old fan out of the heatsink and fan assembly and getting the new fan in. But the new fan worked great, so problem solved!

Well... it's less than two months later and now the new fan is getting noisier and noisier, just like the one that died did. What on earth? It's a brand new fan. Why is it starting to have the same problem the old fan did? I doubt it desperately needs cleaned already. I didn't touch the old fan for about three years before it finally had problems. Any ideas? I'm baffled.

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
Are you sure nothing is getting in contact with the fan in the casing? i mean like broken plastic pieces (happened to me) get it well serviced, if body require repairing get it repaired maybe that will fix. Also is the fan running at normal, not always at max or something like that? running at max always also reduces life.

Reactions: Krotow
Feb 8, 2021
When I had it taken apart, I looked for broken pieces or anything that could be touching the fan. I didn't find anything. Both fans spin way up whenever I'm gaming to keep things cooled down, but the noise is there whether it's running at high speed or not. I know I can see if a repair shop can figure it out, but since it was just a fan, I spent $13 and put in a new one instead of paying a shop. I certainly wasn't expecting it to start sounding just like the old fan after six weeks or so.

Jul 16, 2022
Anything new on this (I see it's over a year old)?

I'm facing a similar issue, though my replacement made it about a year, but is now just as noisy as last time (and it's NOISY - working from home, had a client literally tell me 'sorry for being so direct, but please don't take any more meetings until you replace the fan'). I have another replacement arriving in a couple days, but wondering about what else could be the cause for this, as fans shouldn't be dying this quickly.