[SOLVED] Laptop fan slight high pitch noise at 4500 RPM - Normal?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
I recently added another 8GB of RAM, and repasted my CPU/GPU as well as a good dusting of my fan with compressed air.

However, I noticed for some reason there is a slight whine/high pitched noise when my fan revs up to 4500 RPM, and after that the noise is infrequent but there. Normally at 2500 RPM or so I don't hear this noise at all.

Maybe I am just aware of it now but would this generally be normal? My fan is set to fluctuate based on speeds, is there nothing you can really do about this?
View: https://imgur.com/a/KICl8h2

Solution
4200 RPM is too high. None of my fans run at that speed. (It is a desktop computer with 2 CPU, 3 desktop fans)

When you are gaming the noise would increase. I think you start to notice it now, and it was nearly that noisy when you bought it. Also the game you are playing may be more demanding.

I have found a Youtube video: Acer Nitro 5 Fan Noise Problem - YouTube

Yours is not that noisy, and this one clearly needed some maintenance.

At least cleaning the dust would help for your case I believe.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Fans in general make noise, and when its speed increases, also its noise increases.

Also as fans get older, the noise increases. For the desktop computers it is easy to find and replace a fan. For notebooks finding a replacement and replacing is harder.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Fans in general make noise, and when its speed increases, also its noise increases.

Also as fans get older, the noise increases. For the desktop computers it is easy to find and replace a fan. For notebooks finding a replacement and replacing is harder.
I see, there's no way loose power chords can be the issue here? It will work or not work?
Would you advise against any lubricants to fix the noise?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
4200 RPM is too high. None of my fans run at that speed. (It is a desktop computer with 2 CPU, 3 desktop fans)

When you are gaming the noise would increase. I think you start to notice it now, and it was nearly that noisy when you bought it. Also the game you are playing may be more demanding.

Solution

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021

Thanks, I already cleaned it as I mentioned, I haven't played games in a while so maybe I'm just not used to it. If you don't recommend grease and the PSU is unlikely the problem, I'll just live with it.

Also 4200 is not too high, laptops do not ventilate heat that well in general, especially gaming laptops. They are meant to go at high speeds constantly.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Also 4200 is not too high, laptops do not ventilate heat that well in general, especially gaming laptops. They are meant to go at high speeds constantly.

I think your fan noise is not that alarming. Annoying yes, but it just does not sound wrong.
I play games with headphones, but here and there when I remove the headphones, I also hear some noise -depending on the game- But still none of my fans can run at that speed. Desktop computers are better for gaming.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Desktop computers are better for gaming.
Yes, I'm aware of that but I'm on a budget here lol
I am concerned if my PSU for my fans are slightly lose since I had to remove the heatsink as shown in the timestamp in this video:
View: https://youtu.be/0vfoUkIazNA?t=260

I don't want to waste the time to check even though I'm fairly sure they can't be loose since it was difficult to even unplug the battery cable for my laptop. Can you help confirm that I probably shouldn't worry about it, because if it was loose the fans would just not work at all?

View: https://imgur.com/a/XRfQzJw

Ferimer

Distinguished
Your laptop would let you know if the fans were not working as they would need to be in order for the CPU to be cooled. Are you sure its from when you turned up those specific fans and not something else? as you mentioned the GPU being repasted? It could be because you cleaned it, it is now running a lot better thus increasing the noise as wear happens as time goes on. Maybe a little grease to help with the spinning might reduce your noise but you can try.

Yes, I'm aware of that but I'm on a budget here lol
I am concerned if my PSU for my fans are slightly lose since I had to remove the heatsink as shown in the timestamp in this video:
View: https://youtu.be/0vfoUkIazNA?t=260

I don't want to waste the time to check even though I'm fairly sure they can't be loose since it was difficult to even unplug the battery cable for my laptop. Can you help confirm that I probably shouldn't worry about it, because if it was loose the fans would just not work at all?

View: https://imgur.com/a/XRfQzJw

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Your laptop would let you know if the fans were not working as they would need to be in order for the CPU to be cooled. Are you sure its from when you turned up those specific fans and not something else? as you mentioned the GPU being repasted? It could be because you cleaned it, it is now running a lot better thus increasing the noise as wear happens as time goes on. Maybe a little grease to help with the spinning might reduce your noise but you can try.
It's from the fan, I don't think I have whatever kind of grease I need anyway so I'll just live with it.