[SOLVED] Laptop fans are always running and battery is draining fast

M4_Marwan

Honorable
Feb 23, 2017
Hello,

So my laptop is a Dell XPS 17 9700 and recently I've had this issue where the laptop's fans would keep running even when the laptop is in sleep mode, and since I put my laptop in my bag, it heats up like crazy.
Today was my worst experience yet, the laptop became so hot that I could not even hold it as my hands would burn from the how hot the metal was.
After that incident, the laptop's battery has been draining super fast.

I've always had cooling issues with this laptop, but now this battery issue is driving me crazy, the laptop is less than a year old.

I was considering replacing the battery, but first wanted to ask if the issue was from the battery or something else, I am afraid that other components were effected by the system's high temperature during the mentioned incident.

So my question is: should I replace the battery? or what exactly is the issue, and I would be grateful if I could get some wisdom on the matter.

Thank you.

Solution
My thought is that the battery is the culprit.

There is very little else in a laptop that could really generate that much heat barring some serious problem that would likely involve sparks, smoke, and obvious signs of damage.

When the laptop is cool - down to room temperature do things as you normally do but continually and carefully check the case where the battery is housed.

Does that area get hot before anyplace else? Does that area get hotter faster? Does the charger or charging cable get hot?

If so, then the problem is likely the battery and/or some charging issue. Some batteries do not do well if being recharged while hot. I allow all of my rechargeable batteries to cool before charging.

As for the electronics...

Ralston18

Titan
How old is the laptop? Where purchased? Any remaining warranty?

Genuine Dell battery? Source?

How old is the battery? How is the battery being recharged?

Has battery ever been dropped? Any signs of damage, swelling, leakage?

Does the over heating happen only when the laptop is"shut down" and in the bag?

Does the over heating stop if sleep mode is disabled?

Or does the over heating happen if the laptop is just sitting idle on a desk and goes to sleep?

Here are a couple of Dell links that might prove helpful:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...xt=Symptoms,damage to the internal components.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...ystem-heat-issue-or-the-system-is-overheating

Look for additional links and suggestions as you learn more and eliminate potential culprits.

Copy down the laptop's and battery's info & specs. Report the problem to Dell. Include model numbers and serial numbers. Document your contacts with Dell. Keep good records regarding what Dell says or otherwise communicates to you.

Getting that hot is very dangerous and I would not use the laptop for any thing other than testing/troubleshooting until the problem is identified and resolved.

And do any troubleshooting and testing away from anything that could catch fire.

Reactions: M4_Marwan

M4_Marwan

Honorable
Feb 23, 2017
How old is the laptop? Where purchased? Any remaining warranty?

Genuine Dell battery? Source?

How old is the battery? How is the battery being recharged?

Has battery ever been dropped? Any signs of damage, swelling, leakage?

Does the over heating happen only when the laptop is"shut down" and in the bag?

Does the over heating stop if sleep mode is disabled?

Or does the over heating happen if the laptop is just sitting idle on a desk and goes to sleep?

Here are a couple of Dell links that might prove helpful:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-in/000130867/how-to-troubleshoot-a-overheating-shutdown-or-thermal-issue-on-a-dell-pc#:~:text=Symptoms,damage to the internal components.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...ystem-heat-issue-or-the-system-is-overheating

Look for additional links and suggestions as you learn more and eliminate potential culprits.

Copy down the laptop's and battery's info & specs. Report the problem to Dell. Include model numbers and serial numbers. Document your contacts with Dell. Keep good records regarding what Dell says or otherwise communicates to you.

Getting that hot is very dangerous and I would not use the laptop for any thing other than testing/troubleshooting until the problem is identified and resolved.

And do any troubleshooting and testing away from anything that could catch fire.

Firstly, thank you for the thorough response.

As to answer your questions:

The laptop is about a year and 4 months old and it was purchased from a large well-known electronics store chain in my country called Emax, and unfortunately my warranty has expired.

The only component I changed myself was adding an m.2 SSD, other than that, I never changed the battery of the laptop, so it is as old as the laptop, never dropped.
I opened up the laptop to check the battery and from what I could see, there is no damage/swelling/leakage.

The over heating happens whenever the vents are blocked even if a little bit, not just when in the bag, I always try to elevate the laptop from the back, as even on a flat surface the fans can start to get going really fast even if I am doing something as simple as browsing the web or watching a video.

I followed the help from the links you provided, the Dell BIOS diagnostic showed that there is nothing wrong (thankfully), and I made sure that the fans were very clean without dust or anything like that.

As for contacting Dell support, I've checked the options and they seem limited because my warranty has expired.

Do you think that the battery isn't the issue?
Should I just go to the same electronics store and explain my issue to them?

Thank you again for taking the time to give such a detailed reply.

Ralston18

Titan

There is very little else in a laptop that could really generate that much heat barring some serious problem that would likely involve sparks, smoke, and obvious signs of damage.

When the laptop is cool - down to room temperature do things as you normally do but continually and carefully check the case where the battery is housed.

Does that area get hot before anyplace else? Does that area get hotter faster? Does the charger or charging cable get hot?

If so, then the problem is likely the battery and/or some charging issue. Some batteries do not do well if being recharged while hot. I allow all of my rechargeable batteries to cool before charging.

As for the electronics shop that depends a great deal on where you live. First with availability, second with knowledgeable and skilled staff, and third having a good reputation for honesty and fair pricing. Ask family and trusted friends for recommendations.

Visit at least 2 or 3 shops to get opinions and some impression of how they do business.

Even if they seem okay be careful anyway. Ask about warranties, etc. regarding work and parts.

Reactions: M4_Marwan
Solution

M4_Marwan

Honorable
Feb 23, 2017

As for the electronics shop that depends a great deal on where you live. First with availability, second with knowledgeable and skilled staff, and third having a good reputation for honesty and fair pricing. Ask family and trusted friends for recommendations.

Visit at least 2 or 3 shops to get opinions and some impression of how they do business.

Even if they seem okay be careful anyway. Ask about warranties, etc. regarding work and parts.
Thank you so much for your help!
It is greatly appreciated, and this was very helpful.

TRENDING THREADS