[SOLVED] Laptop Fans Don't Max Out But CPU Is At 90 Celsius

Dec 2, 2019
Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion Power 15, it was a refurbished cheap buy on amazon. I have had it for about 2 years now, and I just started to realize that the CPU temperature is at 90 C but the fans are maybe at 30-50% usage (I am guessing by ear) I have heard them go up to 100% during a BIOS update so I know what that sounds like. I have a laptop cooling pad under the laptop too. I have also tried using SpeedFan which I somewhat know how to use thanks to my old desktop (which I don't plan on ever using again, it is 14 years old), but it doesn't work on this laptop probably due to HP restricting fan usage. So here are some of the temps I have seen:

• Stays around 60 C when idle or light usage. (58 C when writing this) When idle the CPU is only at 5-15% usage
  • 90 C when playing a game like ARK Survival Evolved. When playing the CPU is only at 40-60% usage.

I use Open Hardware Monitor to track these temps. I have seen it go up as far as 92 C when gaming. The graphics card is actually really good with thermals staying at 50 C to 60 C when gaming it is at 35 C right now. I also don't notice any thermal throttling during game play which is good for me, but i'm guessing that is bad for the laptop.

I have attempted to clear the dust out of the fans, with a handheld vacuum and putting it against the bottom vents and trying the top vents. Also the fan cooling policy is set to Active not Passive and Fan Always On is activated from the Start-up Menu. (When I press F10 during startup) So i'm not sure what else to do. I was wondering if you can change the temperature curves for the fan speed. If you know anything please reply to this.

Thanks!
Mason

The CPU is a i7 7700HQ
The GPU is a 1050 TI Max-Q Mobile

Follow Up - I was starting to think that the laptop could only be addressing the fan speed by adjusting it only when the GPU gets hot, but i'm not sure.

Solution
Hp pavilion starts throttling from already 85c+ so thats probably the reason your not seeing higher GPU temps cause you are downclocking so hard on the CPU. The fans should react to high cpu/gpu temps both.