Laptop for Computer science student in Dubai

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahakagg

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Hello everyone!
I live in Dubai and my college starts in September and I am pursuing a computer science major. So I need some advice in buying laptops. I definitely don't want a dell as I had 3 Dells before and I am using my 4th one now and all of them have serious hardware issues (hard drive failures in 3-4 years and also some graphics card problem). I want to research beforehand so as to not buy some inoperative laptop. I want the following specifications in the laptop -
1. Intel core i7 4th or 5th gen processor
2. 8/16GB RAM (16GB preferred as I will be using Photoshop and animation software)
3. NVidia graphics (GT/GTX and 2/4GB) (GTX graphics preferred)
4. 14" or 15.6" FHD or UDH screen (Anti glare preferred) (it doesn't matter if touchscreen is there or no)
5. Backlit keyboard with numeric keypad (Numeric keypad is necessary as I will be using animation software and camera angle shortcuts are usually numeric keys)

I'll be using the laptop mainly for programming, animation (Blender 3D, Adobe After Effects), image editing (Adobe Photoshop, Gimp), watching videos, occasional gaming (Minecraft, Walking Dead, WWE 2K15, Batman etc.)

Please suggest any laptop from Lenovo, Asus or HP (Definitely not Dell) which is available in the UAE and is under AED 4500. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Solution
Hello mahakagg,

a 15 or 17 inch MacBook Pro will do the job although you clearly want windows.

Depending on the type of stuff you're doing, the most important characteristics to look at are the amount of RAM you put in and also the hard drive, either choose a 7200rpm drive or if your budget alows, take an SSD without question.

The last thing is, really know what type of animation you'll be producing. If 3D animation is part of your workflow but not the core of it, a very good gaming laptop will do the job just fine! (and save you money)

Rank_91

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Hello mahakagg,

a 15 or 17 inch MacBook Pro will do the job although you clearly want windows.

Depending on the type of stuff you're doing, the most important characteristics to look at are the amount of RAM you put in and also the hard drive, either choose a 7200rpm drive or if your budget alows, take an SSD without question.

The last thing is, really know what type of animation you'll be producing. If 3D animation is part of your workflow but not the core of it, a very good gaming laptop will do the job just fine! (and save you money)

Solution

mahakagg

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Thank you velo3100 and Rank_91 for your answers. I will be doing 3D animation and as for now I don't want a MacBook. I need good amount of RAM and an SSD or SSHD. I was considering 3 laptops which are Lenovo Y5070, HP Envy K207NE and Asus N551JK DM002H laptops.
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these laptops?
Any help will be appreciated

Regards

The lenovo is your best option as it has the most powerful cpu and gpu out of the 3. I would stay away from hp for 3d animation as it has a weak cpu which will affect you when you are multi-tasking between many programs. This will also affect the performance when you are programming as u cpu's are not made to handle programming. This is the same issue for the asus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS