0bened0

Reputable
Dec 8, 2016
Hi all.

Hopefully one of you super people may have some insight here.

I need to buy a laptop that will be suitable for home music production. I am running Cakewalk and recording through a Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 audio interface. My projects are ending up with 10 to 12 tracks with effects on most of them. I'm running into lag all the time which is making things very difficult, as I (usually!) want each track to be in time with each other.

I don't have a huge budget (£900 or so) and really need to be spending money where it's going to have the most impact.

All help appreciated!

g-unit1111

Titan
I might get some crap for this, but this is one of those rare times I might recommend that you actually go Apple. The reason being is that I have some friends of mine that make their own music, and they've said that there's no PC that can compete with Apple in terms of how quickly it can process music loops and production.

I might get some crap for this, but this is one of those rare times I might recommend that you actually go Apple. The reason being is that I have some friends of mine that make their own music, and they've said that there's no PC that can compete with Apple in terms of how quickly it can process music loops and production.

Apple laptop for £900? :)

0bened0

Reputable
Dec 8, 2016
:eek:

Reactions: g-unit1111
" I am running Cakewalk and recording through a Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 audio interface. "

Part of your issue is your Interface.

I have one of those as a backup, paid $32 so it's definitely worth that price, except for the fact that it uses ASIO4All.

A better interface, with actual drivers, will help with your latency.

What are your full system specs currently?

0bened0

Reputable
Dec 8, 2016
" I am running Cakewalk and recording through a Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 audio interface. "

Part of your issue is your Interface.

I have one of those as a backup, paid $32 so it's definitely worth that price, except for the fact that it uses ASIO4All.

A better interface, with actual drivers, will help with your latency.

What are your full system specs currently?
It's an old Dell Inspiron 1545, with a dual 1.8 Celeron and 4GB RAM. We also added USB3.2 express card to try and reduce the latency

Though you might want to buy logic with the Mac too

Don't let the naysayers distract you, Cakewalk is a great DAW.

These are Minimum Specs.
  • Windows 7 or higher (64-bit only)
  • Multi-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 3GB free disk space
  • 1280x800 screen resolution
  • ASIO compatible hardware is recommended
All you need is some recent hardware to run it well.
I'd get a better interface too.