Question LAPTOP FOR WORK AND GAMING

May 19, 2019
Hello everyone!

Would you mind helping a newb out?

So after working and saving up for a laptop, I've finally found two good ones within my budget (really strict budget), but I'm torn between these two laptops that I'll be using daily.

SPECS SUMMARY:

ASUS GL503GE

120hz TN (About 99% color accuracy according to reviews)
1050ti
16gb RAM
128gb SSD + 1TB HDD
USB-C

Dell G7 7588
60hz IPS
I7-8750h
1060 MaxQ
16gb RAM
128gb SSD + 1TB HDD
Thunderbolt 3

Prices are almost identical. Battery is not a concern too since these are gaming laptops and will be plugging it in most of the time.

Here's some info: I'll be using this laptop for work and gaming. About 50% work, 50% gaming. I also plan to keep this for at most 3-4 years.

For work: I'll be doing lots of MS Office work and some basic image and video editing.

For gaming:
20% eSport - Dota 2 (Rank)
20% MMO - World of Warcraft, The Elder Scrolls Online
60% - other offline games from old to modern titles.

The question is, which would be better for long term gaming experience? Also, 120hz or 60hz?

Note:
I'm leaning towards the G7 since it has better chassis and least gaming vibe design (I like minimalist stuff).

Concerns: Most of the games I'll be playing are older rpg titles so that means the games will hit more than 60 fps (which would mean that the Asus will be better for this), also on the other hand, I don't mind playing at constant 60 fps, but would suffer screen tearing/input lag if i'm not mistaken or does this apply only to fast paced games? (I already played on a 120 fps and yes, it is better). So, I'm kinda facing a big dilemma.

Another question: Vsync On or FPS Limiter? Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of both (really newb sorry)? I tried searching for answers online, but still not satisfied.

P.S. I considered the Helios 300, but it has extreme heating issues that would not be viable for long term usage since I'm also not into undervolting. Also, I'm constantly travelling so I considered getting a laptop.

Looking forward to answers. Thank you so much!

Last edited: