[SOLVED] Laptop - Force shutting down then immediately turning back on again causes damage of any kind?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Hi all,

I had to force shutdown my laptop recently due to a no boot device screen, and started my computer up a little bit too fast. I know I likely had an HDD issue during this time, but somewhere near logging into windows my HDD makes a single distinct mechanical noise and it worries me.

So in the title does force shutting down then immediately turning back on a laptop cause any damage of any kind?

Solution
On startup my laptop was working just fine but I'm concerned I may have done damage to the HDD or battery so I'd like to know.

A battery in good condition is always ready for a sudden change of load (like power outage) so there is no problem with it.

Your HDD didn't come to a complete stop and the platters were still spinning at the time, and the rapid stop/start sequence surely created some strain on it, but it's normal too, the brushless motor is very strong and can handle the task without problem.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
If you are getting a no boot device screen, and it's not due to BIOS configuration - i.e. your HDD is having trouble spinning up - Back up your data ASAP, then replace the drive.

It's a good practice to back up regularly, in any case.

Get CrystalDiskInfo or PassMark DiskCheckup, or any of the usual SMART checkers, and look for any abnormal readings.

It's generally not recommended to power a HDD back up immediately after powerdown, especially in earlier days...But I'm not sure how much of that still applies, myself.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Good old rules will never change, for example always let your car engine run for at least 30 sec before driving, or wait 30 sec before turning on the computer again.
Yep, I'll be careful next time but since I did this by accident with about 1 second between the shutdown and powering it back up, are there any current evidences that modern laptops can receive damage from this?

On startup my laptop was working just fine but I'm concerned I may have done damage to the HDD or battery so I'd like to know.

A battery in good condition is always ready for a sudden change of load (like power outage) so there is no problem with it.

Your HDD didn't come to a complete stop and the platters were still spinning at the time, and the rapid stop/start sequence surely created some strain on it, but it's normal too, the brushless motor is very strong and can handle the task without problem.

Reactions: ShangWang
Solution